How to Tell if Your Dog is Purebred

The only sure way to determine whether a dog is purebred is DNA testing. This is a guide about how to tell if your dog is purebred.

This is an unusual, but interesting dog tip. The palate of a pure bred dog's mouth is one solid color from the very front of it's mouth to all the way to the back of it's throat, where a mixed breed isn't. Over the years I've looked at my friends' dogs' palates, both purebred and mixed, and found it sort of amazing.

I witnessed this several years ago at an Obedience Trial when this one lady said her dog was a Labrador Retriever and that she had papers on the dog. One look at the dog told the judges and spectators that the lady's dog was not a full blooded Labrador and she argued with the Ring Judge over it. I felt bad for the dog, the lady made a huge stink over it causing a small scene until the judge asked three different Labrador owners and their dogs into the ring and inspected the palate of all 4 dogs, with their owners. She wasn't permitted to show and still argued with the judge and was finally asked to leave the premises. Keep in mind that this was many, many years ago. Last year the AKC ruled that a mixed breed dog can be shown in Obedience as long as it is spayed or neutered.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

Top Comment

Agree with Deeli; if your dog is AKC registered, there's a mandatory DNA database for the sire and dam--that's the indicator of whether or not your pup is purebred.

Within all breeds there are show standards and variations; example from a pal who used to show Rotties; the breed show preference is for a dog with black lips and interior mouth, yet there are pups within the same litter with pink lips and dappled-colored skin inside the mouth, same mother, same father, same purebred line. You may not want to show them, but they're full-blooded Rotties just the same.

Interesting post, but I wouldn't be banging down a reputable breeder's door if the inside of the dog's mouth is a horse of a different color. On a side note, though, in some breeds, purebreds are more apt to have cleft palates than mixes; I'd be more concerned about checking my dog for that than worrying about color variations.

Top Comment

Any vet will tell you that this is not true.

Would this trait also hold true with a cat?

Wow, I've never heard that before!

Very interesting. I'd never heard that before, but then I've never cared if an animal was pure-bred or not. (I've also never been involved in "show animals of any kind). I'm sure there are many Thrifty Fun readers who will be happy to get this information.

Thanks for sharing CaroleeRose. I'll remember this as it's a good way to help someone when they're

choosing a new pet. The traits of certain breeds can be important when choosing a family pet.

Pookarina

Anonymous

This is an old wives tale about palate coloring and I feel badly for the woman who was asked to leave the obedience trial. :-( The 'only' way to know for certain is DNA testing.

I think it's B.S. An old wives tale just as Deeli put it. No, the woman should not have acted that way, but I'd be pissed too. For them to go to that extent to disqualify her is just wrong in every way. The one that I feel bad about is the dog. Poor baby was probably so scared with all of this going on.

Dog shows are stupid, stupid, stupid. To me it's an abuse on the same level as breeders.

Very helpful my dog has a black mouth and at the very back there is a streeck of white at the very very back of her mouth is she still a purebred it is just a little dot at the very very end?

Any vet will say it's not true so he will make Monet , how you.think a vet will say checking a dogs mouth will determine if it's pure breed then no one will hire vets to determine if it's pure breed duh!!!

I really believe that it is true, every dog that I have had or my family has had fit the bill, the purebred's roof of mouth was a solid color while the mixed breeds were not. I don't think that the color matters-my dogs with dark muzzles had dark colors while my brown Chihuahua has a more pink color-it just has to be a solid color. I rescued a dog that has a solid color; we were told that he was some kind of hound/great dane cross, but because of his mouth we were convinced that he was a purebred something. We did a lot of research and found that he is a perfect match to a ridgeless Rhodesian Ridgeback. He is perfect to the breed standard except that he has no ridge, which we found out does not mean he is a mix. Puppies can be born missing the ridge, and because they can not be bred, breeders and buyers often have little interest in these pups. We plan to have our dog DNA tested, but partly because of his mouth, I really believe that he is a purebred. Seems crazy but I do believe that your tip is true!!!