Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home

Is there anything I can spray my porch with to repel wasps? I have had a hard time since we built it. They treated it with linseed oil if that helps. Sometimes there is a hundred at a time. No pest control people know what to use.

By Greg from Clovis, NM

I've seen this used at a golf resort and the operators said it was useful! I copied this from the net. Hope it helps you!

Hang a crumpled brown paper bag. A natural wasp repellent to use is by preying on the fact that wasps are territorial so they will not make a nest where one already exists. To give the illusion of a wasp nest, crumple up a small brown grocery bag, attach a string, and hang near your doors. They cannot tell if it's truly a nest, but they seem to trust what they see. Their instincts will kick in and they will go away.

In an attempt to repel wasps I have heard many suggestions to make or purchase fake wasp nests to hang in areas where they are unwanted.

I just want to say I have a terrible wasp infestation at my home, and there are hundreds of old vacated wasp nests all around. None of these wasp nests have wasps in them, The wasps will build new nests right next to them!

I hung a fake nest from my covered porch and had wasps climbing all over it and they built a nest right next to that fake nest as well. So before you waste your money on the fake nests or waste your time building and hanging them yourself. I just wanted to give you this heads-up, It failed miserably at my house. I have Red Wasps, Mud Dabbers, Black Wasps and Yellow Jackets.

I second the fake wasp nest idea. You can buy them online.

I have the same problem the crumbled bag does not keep them away

I too am having a huge wasp problem at my home in Buffalo New York which is why I came on this site but my comment has nothing to do with the wasp issue... I just had to say: what are the chances that someone from Clovis New Mexico commented on here!? I was born in Clovis!!!! Sorry, Just had to say something because no one's ever heard of Clovis when I talk about it LOL too funny!! Hope you worked out your wasp issue... I'm sure they're much worse down there than up here! I wouldn't have fared well down there seeing as though I am crazy scared of all insects / snakes / spiders LOL

I lived in Texico New Mexico, next to Farwell , Tx and worked in Clovis 30 years ago

My whole family is from there. Have you heard of Wilson's Radiator Shop.