Why do Recipes Call for Both Water and Milk?

Most of my bread machine recipes call for amounts of milk and amounts of water. Although I've been using only milk for awhile with good results I still wonder why those recipes use both. Does anybody know?

Judi from Elgin, Oregon

It may be that using all milk as the liquid in the recipes is more costly, or perhaps it will change the consistency of the dough.

Milk tends to make the crust softer than water. If you like using all milk, it is perfectly fine. You could also use all water. Also, the bread made with milk has slightly more nutritional value, because of the milk.

I don't know about the bread machine recipes, but usually the water that the recipe calls for is used to "proof" the yeast, or to soften it before adding to your recipe. I choose to substitute water for the milk that is called for in the recipe. Especially with the higher cost of milk these days.

Harlean from Arkansas

Using milk does change the texture of the dough. Milk is good for dinner rolls and water for bread. I noticed the bread a little "crumblier" when using milk.

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJanuary 30, 2008
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 7:10:30 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 958 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.