Frugal Kitten Toys

Here are some ideas for quick and easy cat toys that I've discovered over the years. Cat toys don't need to be expensive.

• a big ball of wadded up aluminum foil

If you want the ball of aluminum foil to have more weight and go farther across the floor then put a small pebble in the middle of it.
  • a plastic ring from a milk jug

• craft felt or other material sewn into a small rectangle and stuffed with catnip
    My cats pounce on them, fall over and claw at them with their hind feet like they are big juicy mice!
  • craft pompoms
  • the thin strip of plastic you tear off the top of some bags of food to open them
    These tend to carried around in kitty's mouth like a trophy.

• the thin strip of serrated cardboard you tear off of boxes
    They make a good toy to bat around the floor.
  • a twist tie from the bread bag
  • a ping pong ball
  • a tennis ball
  • A good toy for kittens is to take your empty trash bag or Kleenex box (the kind with a narrow slit in the top) and make a rather large ball of aluminum foil and force it into the box. Then show kitty that something is in there. My kitten spent weeks trying to get that ball out of the Kleenex box and had tons of fun doing it.

Enjoy!

By Anne from Marengo, OH

Editor's Note: Do you have any frugal kitten toy ideas? Post them here!

Most of these are great ideas but some are down right dangerous for a cat or kitten or for a small puppy or dog.

The ring from a milk jug, any twist tie (such as she said from bread bags), or any plastic bag (such as she said an empty trash bag) are all very dangerous. The milk jug rings and the twist ties are both too small and can easily be swallowed and the cat can choke on them. And plastic bags, give me a break!! Doesn't she know that these can suffocate an animal or child? If you're going to give your cat a bag, make it a paper bag! They love those and can't get caught up in them and run out of air.

As for the pompoms, you must make sure each and every strand is tied together with the rest of the strands. Otherwise the strands will come apart and can choke the cat. As long as they are tied together properly these pompoms can make great toys.

One rule of thumb that is best to follow when making toys for kittens/cats or small puppies/dogs is that if you would not give it to your infant baby, don't give it to the pets. This goes also for plastic eyes or other pieces that can be chewed off and choked on or pieces inside the toy that can be ripped or chewed out.

So please use some common sense when making homemade toys for not just your babies but also for your pets. Remember that they, like babies, put everything in their mouths and chew on everything.

I agree with cricketnc, some of these ideas are very dangerous. My kitten had something poking out its rear end and I pulled it gently. it turned out to be a thin piece of cord I had inadvertently left lying around I took him to the vet all the same, he had to stay in overnight and be medicated to clear him. Please be careful of homemade toys.

A kitten with a ball of yarn.
Saving Money on Cat Toys
Pets Cats Cat ToysMarch 2, 2011
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Teething Kitten
Teething Kitten Advice
🎄