Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Damp Rid

How do I make homemade Damp Rid?

By Cathy from West Newton, PA

11/13/2012

As others have said that Damp Rid is Calcium Chloride., If you have some of that chemical in dry form, it's easy to construct a gadget which circulates air over the stuff, and collects the liquid that it turns into.

What hasn't been said is that Calcium Chloride is very easy to acquire, and is fairly inexpensive. Specifically, many brands of ice melt pellets - Qik Joe, Prestone Driveway Heat, Peladow, Pellets of Fire, and Safestep 7300, for example -- are all pure calcium chloride.

As an added bonus, all of these are much cheaper, per pound, than Damp Rid refills.

According to Google's shopping page, Qik Joe costs $7 for 10 pounds, $11 for 20 lbs, $22 for 50 lbs, and $65 for 100 lbs. The cheapest Damp Rid refill costs $3.65 for 2.5 pounds... that works out to $1.46 per pound, or $14.60 for 10 pounds.

By Thomatillo08/13/2010

Hi again,

I was thinking of another solution to the moisture problem. The little packages of drying agent that are often found in medicine bottles are filled with Silica Gel. These little beads are actually quite effective in removing moisture.

The advantage Silica Gel beads have over Calcium Chloride is that they do not dissolve. They can also be reused if heated to remove the absorbed moisture. Some even come with indicator colors that change when they are saturated.

Silica Gel can also be comparatively economical to purchase. In fact, there are several cat litters made out of it. Just do a search for "silica gel cat litter," and I'm sure you'll find many brands.

I would just get some and make packages of them using porous neeting, cheesecloth, or other material, and hang them throughout your space.

You might even be able to make bags out of wire window screen and reactivate them from time to time by putting them in a low over.

By Thomatillo08/13/2010

Damp Rid is a very simple product. It is mostly made of anhydrous calcium chloride. The chemical is what they call deliquescent, meaning that it absorbs so much moisture from the air that it dissolves. There are many chemicals that do this, but some are more dangerous than others. Calcium Chloride is pretty safe, but it does heat up when exposed to water. In large amounts, it could cause burns and irritation.

You might be able to get calcium chloride through a chemical company, but the potential problem of making your own is that of storage of the unused material. It will have to be stored in smaller completely airtight containers.

The thing that makes damp rid a more user-friendly product is its packaging, which comes in many forms. The essential part is to have a receptacle that exposes the product to air, but lets it drain so the saturated stuff gets out of the way.

I've purchased the dry product in the refill bags and put it in recycled yogurt containers. Simply take a short container (like the kind cottage cheese comes in), poke holes in it, fill it with the crystals and place that into a larger yogurt container to catch the liquid.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Damp Rid

Does anyone know how to make homemade Damp Rid? I am going to store some things in my crawl space under my house, which is insulated and the floor has thick plastic covering the dirt. I was thinking that I would like to place something under there just in case there is some moisture. At times it smells a little musty. Got any ideas what to use or a recipe for such a product? WalMart carries a product, but it seems rather expensive. Thanks for all your ideas.

PrairieFloozie from Sioux Falls, SD

RE: Homemade Damp Rid

I take old pantyhose, cut the feet out or knee highs, fill them with charcoal (fine like for plants) tie them to make a bag. Place these all over where you have a moisture problem. They work well in closets and inside storage. Don't know about crawl spaces, I do have to replace them about every 3 months. Oh, they also help with basement odors. (08/06/2006)

By Gramie3

RE: Homemade Damp Rid

Funny. The other day, I opened a new Damp Rid in my basement crawl space, where it works great to eliminate the damp, musty smell I used to get. Immediately thereafter, I went out to use the new pool chemical I'd just bought to increase water hardness (a minor concern for plaster pool owners and one I had not bothered with in past years).

I was struck by the fact that the huge tub of calcium chloride chips I bought from the pool store looked exactly like the Damp Rid. Turns out they are one and the same. Thus, if you need calcium chloride, Go to the pool supply store. You can get the white flakes that make up Damp Rid in large quantity. I got 25 lbs for $32. You can buy lesser amounts (down to about 5 lbs). Any pool supply store should have it. (06/03/2007)

By tim

RE: Homemade Damp Rid

Just to let everyone know you can recycle DampRid and other similar products forever. After your container of Damp Rid has filled up with water just take a Pyrex bowl and line it with aluminum foil. Pour the Damp Rid and water solution into the bowl with the foil lining and put it in the oven at a very low temperature. Make it as low as you can get it, 200 degrees or less. If you put the temp too high it will boil and make a giant mess. Let the water evaporate completely and you will be left with a dry white powder. This powder sticks to any surface, that is why it is essential to line the bowl with foil or you will never get the powder out of the bowl. Pull the powder and foil out of the bowl, wrap in a towel and hit it with a hammer until the powder is all broken up. Then you can put it back in the original Damp Rid container and re-use it. You can do this forever.

NOTE: Make sure you put a cookie sheet under the bowl while drying out the liquid. Do not use a temperature above 200 degrees. If this stuff boils over you will have the most complete and utter mess you have ever had in your life, your oven will never be usable again. You have been warned. (05/17/2008)

By JimInDC

RE: Homemade Damp Rid

I took a plastic butter container put holes in the bottom and with a screen on the bottom filled it with Calcium Chloride. Then cut a 1/2 gallon plastic milk container fit the butter container on top. When needed just empty the container and refill. Works for me. (07/21/2008)

By tapnsee

RE: Homemade Damp Rid

I use this on my cabin cruiser, take a plastic container and put a bag of kitty litter in it. Then add half a bag of ice melt, not rock salt on top and place in a larger plastic container. The kitty litter will soak up the moisture and the ice melt (calcium chloride) will pull the water from the air. Works great. (10/21/2008)

By Joe

Archive: Homemade Damp Rid

Is there a recipe for homemade Damp Rid?

By ragsangle from NY