Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Sometimes fudge just doesn't set. Short of using it for a syrup or spread, you may want to try to fix it and successfully get it to set. This is a guide about fixing fudge that didn't set.

Making Fudge
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I made fudge, but it will not set. What can I do to save it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

You might try these, Nordle: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66115322.tip.html, but I can tell you from years of experience making fudge for gifts, "find a better recipe."

Eagle Brand has an excellent one which never fails and doesn't need a candy thermometer (if you can't find it, message me and I'll send it to you. In the meantime, you have an excellent ice-cream topping which might also be fun as a fruit dip.

For the first time I made Jack Daniels fudge yesterday. It has been in the fridge for 24 hours and not set.
    When the mixture was in the pan it got to the boiling point and was hot enough, so I put marshmallows in.
    Can you give any advice on what I can do with this mixture? It had hardened on top, but is gooey underneath.

By Lucy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

At Christmas I make Bourbon Balls and I'll tell you,the alcohol in it is the problem. It will practically melt the Chocolate when you're dipping them. I'm sure the problem has been solved by now but next time, whip up a dark chocolate cake mix and frost it with the fudge - similar to a Milky Way Cake.

Read More Answers...

My fudge is soft, what can I do?

By B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

My fudge didn't set either I figured because I used chocolate/ peanut butter chips. & marshmallow cream. Something I have never used before. I wasn't about to give up. I went and bought chocolate bark for use of candy. Put 4 chip of them in a bowl and re-heated and put in icebox.

Read More Answers...

My daughter has made some fudge that isn't setting. What can she add to thicken it? I thought of cornstarch, but we don't know how much or if it will change the flavor. I hope someone can help us out.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I think the only thing that might work is adding powdered sugar a bit at a time until it gets to the point that it will hold its shape. I did that once when I was making pecan logs and the center part just would not hold its shape. I added powdered sugar until it did and didn't waste a drop. It takes some work to mix it all in though.

Read More Answers...

Can I throw soft fudge into the oven to get it all to set?

By Krissie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I would think that storing it in the refrigerator in a covered vessel would work better at getting it to set up.

My fudge won't set. It's soft and has set overnight. What can I do?

By ktjonas from Tucson, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

You can also add powdered sugar. Heat the fudge until it is very soft and almost liquid and add enough powdered sugar to stiffen it up.

Best Answer

You need to cook your fudge longer so the sugar will 'set.'

My son helped me make a batch of fudge. I told him to put the chocolate chips and stick of butter in a large mixing bowl and melt it in the microwave. I then put ten marshmallows and two cups of sugar in a heavy skillet and asked him to open a can of evaporated milk. Since I only had tall cans I told him to only put half of can in there.

I put the sugar in the skillet and turned to get the milk, he had poured it in with the chips and butter. I tolded him we had to have the milk to melt the sugar and marshmallows. It doesn't take very long to cook the sugar once it starts bubbling. It's the first time I've cooked fudge on an electric stove. We let it cook about 15 minutes. Usually it cooks in 4 minutes. I told him to go ahead and pour it over the chips and butter. It so happened, I only needed 6ozs of milk, but he poured the whole 12 ozs in the bowl of chips and butter So it runs like syrup. How do I get it to set up?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A recipe is a chemistry formula; changing the formula in any way will produce a different result. Some recipe errors can be corrected to produce a similar result to the original; most cannot. Try your runny fudge over ice cream?

I made candy cane fudge, and it isn't setting! I substituted condensed milk for sweetened condensed milk, but I used an online recipe and added sugar for the condensed milk. Should I reheat it? Or add powdered sugar to it?

By Lily M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

I am assuming that the milk substitution was not part of the recipe you followed. It sounds like you substituted evaporated milk for the condensed milk. If that is correct, you won't be able to get the fudge to set up no matter what you do. Evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk are in no way the same product.

How can I repair a fudge recipe that didn't set up properly?

By Robin from Tobyhanna, PA

Answers:

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I don't know how to fix it; but I think I would put it in a jar and bill it as fudge sauce (for ice cream or chocolate fondue, or for on cake, etc.) (10/05/2010)

By Jilson

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I am afraid if you tried to reheat it you would overcook it, but that would be your only choice. What have you got to lose by trying it. You would still have fudge, but instead of too soft it might be a little hard. You could perhaps work some powdered sugar into it until it is stiff.
      This is only if you don't want that yummy syrup! (10/07/2010)

By latrtatr

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Use it to make truffles. Scoop into balls, dip in unsweetened cocoa, coconut or finely ground nuts. Keep in fridge and pull out when you want a nice piece of candy or when you have company. (10/07/2010)

By jaxi3

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I realized too late that I added too much evaporated milk to my fudge (after it didn't set and I reread the recipe and saw 5 oz. not 15 oz. ). I boiled and added the fluff and put it in the pan to set and it has not set after 24 hours. Now what do I do?

By Bobbie from Dearborn, MI

Answers:

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I'm not sure it can be fixed. I think I would start over and maybe use the first batch as cake or ice cream topping. (11/28/2009)

By mamie11152

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Reheat it to a boil and then add powdered sugar, also known as confectioner's sugar a little at a time constantly stirring. I used my hand mixer because I was stirring so much my arm was getting tired. It turned out fantastic. I was making peanut butter fudge; 6lbs of it and there was no way I was going to toss it! Good luck and Merry Christmas! (12/20/2009)

By betty1730

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I made a batch of chocolate fudge late at night that did not set. After checking for suggestions on how to fix it (I actually knew what I had done wrong, did not let butter/sugar,etc. mixture boil long enough plus, I believe a good pot makes a difference as well) I decided to try cooking the fudge longer and add in confectioner's sugar.

This was not part of the suggestions, but I also added approx. 1/2 cup of granulated sugar into the mixture as soon as I started reheating it. After the fudge started to boil, I added in approx. 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, mixing it thoroughly, while stirring constantly. After several minutes, it had reached the soft ball stage and probably a little beyond. I don't have a candy thermometer, but after a bit, I could tell from the shine and the way the fudge looked as I stirred it, that it was ready to pour into a pan. Based on my experience, 1/3 to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar should be enough to help set a normal batch of fudge. Adding too much will make it too hard. So don't throw that fudge away; try the confectioner's sugar fix! (01/20/2010)

By charlaew

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I made fudge and it's not setting. I put it into the refrigerator and now I know not to do that. I took it back out and its still not setting. Its not grainy or liquidy, just soft enough that its like pudding. This is my Dad's favorite holiday treat so I'm desperate to fix it (that and I made a huge pan). Can someone please share their best knowledge on fixing this?

Beth from Sparta, TN

Answers:

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Sounds as though maybe you should just boil it longer so the sugar dissolves more and it thickens. Do you have a candy thermometer that you can keep in it so you can see when its reached the soft stage of boiling point? As you are boiling it longer just take a little of it on a spoon's end and drop into a cool glass of drinking water and if you see the candy flow down the water as a soft ball type appearance then it's ready to set again in your pan to cool. Hope that helped.

Merry Christmas. (12/19/2007)

By theseamstress

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I did this one time many years ago, and my problem was that I used low calorie margarine instead of regular. The fudge never did set, but I put it in pie shells and tried to pass it off as fudge pie. (12/19/2007)

By dse77

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I had problems with my fudge last year and I did the stupidest thing and threw out 2 batches in the garbage. So I literally threw money away.

Then I read that if your fudge doesn't harden the way it should, you can use the fudge to frost a batch of brownies. And no one will ever know the difference. (12/19/2007)

By MCW

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

How about heating it up for a hot fudge sauce? Banana split night, here we come. (12/20/2007)

By KLJohn

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Mine use to turn out as taffy, until I figured out not only does fudge need to boil to the soft ball stage, but it should only be made on dry sunny days. Rain and humidity really effects the turn out of fudge. Give this a try. (12/20/2007)

By Winterbird

Fast Easy Fudge - 3 minutes with 2 ingredients

I found this recipe on the internet. Best fudge I have ever had and so easy. It is made using Hershey or Nestles chips and a can of cake frosting. The directions are: using a microwaveable dish, spread the chips over the bottom of dish and cook for 90 seconds. Then put the whole can of frosting on top of the chips in the dish and cook that for 90 seconds. The frosting will be melted. Now stir it really well to mix and pour into a 8x8 inch pan that has been buttered. Cool and cut into squares and enjoy. (12/20/2007)

By Mary in FL

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Like Noella when we about 13 my cousin and I made fudge. It never got hard, so we ate it with a spoon. Fudge is tricky if not cooked long enough. Best use whole ingredients. Best not cook on a rainy or humid day, since this can change the recipe. Most candy recipes will tell you to cook at a few degrees higher on rainy or humid days. Some candies like fudge do better on sunny days. (12/20/2007)

By Cindy in Texas

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Try using powder sugar until it sets up. Just keep adding until it is firm enough. Adding just a small amount at a time.

Pat in GA (12/20/2007)

By Pat437

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

(Sent in by email)
      I use to have the same problem with fudge sometimes it turned out and some time it did not and threw it away.

I then found this book, it is the best book I have ever bought. It tells you how to fix your fudge and there is also recipes, temperatures, testing, no fail fudge, and the list goes on. This book is a step by step book and easy to understand. I love my fudge and this book.

The book is called OH FUDGE BY Lee Edwards Benning.
      You will love this book, too.

smilingfaces
      (12/20/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I think everyone has had this problem at one time or another. I was taught to cook fudge to the hardball stage. If it's soft in the testing cold water, it'll be soft when poured out. I'd change the test water and cook the fudge longer. When the ball in the water kept it's shape, it was done and I'd stir until it until almost set and pour it out into a buttered pan. Never failed to work. (12/21/2007)

By Louise

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

I had a similar experience today. I have never made fudge until today, and I wanted to use an old fashioned Hershey's original fudge recipe, without marshmallow in it and without using any shortcuts. Just sugar, whole milk, butter, vanilla, and cocoa.

Of course, it was a damp and rainy evening. I'm always up for a challenge. I had let it go slightly above the soft ball stage the recipe called for, but once I went to whip it, it was not getting thick. Not knowing exactly what it was supposed to look like, I poured it in the pan anyway and then found that it just would not set. I even tried to set it in the freezer and when that did nothing, I took it straight from the freezer, scraped it back into a pot, this time a smaller pot than before and brought it back up to a boil. Yes, I did this even though the nuts and the vanilla had already been added.

This time, I brought it to just under hard ball stage and then instead of cooling it in the pot it cooked in, I poured it out of the pot onto a big cookie sheet that I had placed on a cooling rack which was on top of a towel to protect my countertop. I did not wait for it to cool, I immediately starting pushing it around and back and forth on the sheet using a wooden spatula until it began to thicken nicely. I poured it into the buttered 8 x 8 pan and it began to set immediately. It turned out great. So, though this may not be timely to help you, if anyone runs across this problem, well, don't give up. (12/23/2007)

By mef1957

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Put all of the soft fudge into a double boiler with a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips. Cook and stir until all fudge and chips have melted together. Now put this all back into the pan and chill until firm. This worked for me. (12/24/2008)

By K.Lunsford

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesMay 29, 2013
      Fudge Recipes
      Fudge Recipes
      Fudge Making Tips
      Fudge Making Tips and Tricks
      Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
      Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
      Finding New Friends, Circle of Friends
      Finding New Friends
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 28, 2016 at 3:14:14 AM on 10.0.0.49 in 636 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.