Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Sometimes fudge just doesn't set. Short of using it for a syrup or spread, you may want to try to fix it and successfully get it to set. This is a guide about fixing fudge that didn't set.

Making Fudge
Filter Sort

Question: Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

By Linda from Bloomington, IL 76 172

My daughter has made some fudge that isn't setting. What can she add to thicken it? I thought of cornstarch, but we don't know how much or if it will change the flavor. I hope someone can help us out.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Dink 3 25 Flag

I think the only thing that might work is adding powdered sugar a bit at a time until it gets to the point that it will hold its shape. I did that once when I was making pecan logs and the center part just would not hold its shape. I added powdered sugar until it did and didn't waste a drop. It takes some work to mix it all in though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fudge Not Setting Up

By Nordle A. 1

I made fudge, but it will not set. What can I do to save it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Rose Anne Hutchence 7 265 Flag

You might try these, Nordle: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66115322.tip.html, but I can tell you from years of experience making fudge for gifts, "find a better recipe."

Eagle Brand has an excellent one which never fails and doesn't need a candy thermometer (if you can't find it, message me and I'll send it to you. In the meantime, you have an excellent ice-cream topping which might also be fun as a fruit dip.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fixing Runny Fudge

For the first time I made Jack Daniels fudge yesterday. It has been in the fridge for 24 hours and not set.
    When the mixture was in the pan it got to the boiling point and was hot enough, so I put marshmallows in.
    Can you give any advice on what I can do with this mixture? It had hardened on top, but is gooey underneath.

By Lucy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By ky mamaw 2 4 Flag

At Christmas I make Bourbon Balls and I'll tell you,the alcohol in it is the problem. It will practically melt the Chocolate when you're dipping them. I'm sure the problem has been solved by now but next time, whip up a dark chocolate cake mix and frost it with the fudge - similar to a Milky Way Cake.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fudge Did Not Set Up

My fudge is soft, what can I do?

By B

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Michelle Hamlin G. 1 1 Flag

My fudge didn't set either I figured because I used chocolate/ peanut butter chips. & marshmallow cream. Something I have never used before. I wasn't about to give up. I went and bought chocolate bark for use of candy. Put 4 chip of them in a bowl and re-heated and put in icebox.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fudge Not Setting

My fudge won't set. It's soft and has set overnight. What can I do?

By ktjonas from Tucson, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Marie 4 8 Flag

You can also add powdered sugar. Heat the fudge until it is very soft and almost liquid and add enough powdered sugar to stiffen it up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Christine 2 31 Flag

You need to cook your fudge longer so the sugar will 'set.'

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Soft Fudge

Can I throw soft fudge into the oven to get it all to set?

By Krissie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By J'Marinde 14 41 Flag

I would think that storing it in the refrigerator in a covered vessel would work better at getting it to set up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Candy Cane Fudge Not Setting

I made candy cane fudge, and it isn't setting! I substituted condensed milk for sweetened condensed milk, but I used an online recipe and added sugar for the condensed milk. Should I reheat it? Or add powdered sugar to it?

By Lily M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By frances 1 99 Flag

I am assuming that the milk substitution was not part of the recipe you followed. It sounds like you substituted evaporated milk for the condensed milk. If that is correct, you won't be able to get the fudge to set up no matter what you do. Evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk are in no way the same product.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fudge Did Not Set Up

When making a white fudge I put in too much evaporated milk (didn't read carefully) and now it is too loose. Can I do anything to save it? I thought about layering it with brownie mix and baking.

By Cathy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Fudge Did Not Set

I used canned milk and my fudge did not set. It's gooey. How do I get it to harden?

By Sue S

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesMay 29, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
    Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
    Fudge Recipes
    Fudge Recipes
    Fudge Making Tips
    Fudge Making Tips and Tricks
    Office chair with lime green cushions.
    Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:47:35 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings