Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Sometimes fudge just doesn't set. Short of using it for a syrup or spread, you may want to try to fix it and successfully get it to set. This is a guide about fixing fudge that didn't set.

Making Fudge
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I made fudge, but it will not set. What can I do to save it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

You might try these, Nordle: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66115322.tip.html, but I can tell you from years of experience making fudge for gifts, "find a better recipe."

Eagle Brand has an excellent one which never fails and doesn't need a candy thermometer (if you can't find it, message me and I'll send it to you. In the meantime, you have an excellent ice-cream topping which might also be fun as a fruit dip.

For the first time I made Jack Daniels fudge yesterday. It has been in the fridge for 24 hours and not set.
    When the mixture was in the pan it got to the boiling point and was hot enough, so I put marshmallows in.
    Can you give any advice on what I can do with this mixture? It had hardened on top, but is gooey underneath.

By Lucy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

At Christmas I make Bourbon Balls and I'll tell you,the alcohol in it is the problem. It will practically melt the Chocolate when you're dipping them. I'm sure the problem has been solved by now but next time, whip up a dark chocolate cake mix and frost it with the fudge - similar to a Milky Way Cake.

Read More Answers...

My fudge is soft, what can I do?

By B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

My fudge didn't set either I figured because I used chocolate/ peanut butter chips. & marshmallow cream. Something I have never used before. I wasn't about to give up. I went and bought chocolate bark for use of candy. Put 4 chip of them in a bowl and re-heated and put in icebox.

Read More Answers...

My daughter has made some fudge that isn't setting. What can she add to thicken it? I thought of cornstarch, but we don't know how much or if it will change the flavor. I hope someone can help us out.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I think the only thing that might work is adding powdered sugar a bit at a time until it gets to the point that it will hold its shape. I did that once when I was making pecan logs and the center part just would not hold its shape. I added powdered sugar until it did and didn't waste a drop. It takes some work to mix it all in though.

Read More Answers...

My son helped me make a batch of fudge. I told him to put the chocolate chips and stick of butter in a large mixing bowl and melt it in the microwave. I then put ten marshmallows and two cups of sugar in a heavy skillet and asked him to open a can of evaporated milk. Since I only had tall cans I told him to only put half of can in there.

I put the sugar in the skillet and turned to get the milk, he had poured it in with the chips and butter. I tolded him we had to have the milk to melt the sugar and marshmallows. It doesn't take very long to cook the sugar once it starts bubbling. It's the first time I've cooked fudge on an electric stove. We let it cook about 15 minutes. Usually it cooks in 4 minutes. I told him to go ahead and pour it over the chips and butter. It so happened, I only needed 6ozs of milk, but he poured the whole 12 ozs in the bowl of chips and butter So it runs like syrup. How do I get it to set up?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A recipe is a chemistry formula; changing the formula in any way will produce a different result. Some recipe errors can be corrected to produce a similar result to the original; most cannot. Try your runny fudge over ice cream?

Can I throw soft fudge into the oven to get it all to set?

By Krissie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

I would think that storing it in the refrigerator in a covered vessel would work better at getting it to set up.

My fudge won't set. It's soft and has set overnight. What can I do?

By ktjonas from Tucson, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

You can also add powdered sugar. Heat the fudge until it is very soft and almost liquid and add enough powdered sugar to stiffen it up.

Best Answer

You need to cook your fudge longer so the sugar will 'set.'

I made candy cane fudge, and it isn't setting! I substituted condensed milk for sweetened condensed milk, but I used an online recipe and added sugar for the condensed milk. Should I reheat it? Or add powdered sugar to it?

By Lily M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

I am assuming that the milk substitution was not part of the recipe you followed. It sounds like you substituted evaporated milk for the condensed milk. If that is correct, you won't be able to get the fudge to set up no matter what you do. Evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk are in no way the same product.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesMay 29, 2013
      Fudge Recipes
      Fudge Recipes
      Fudge Making Tips
      Fudge Making Tips and Tricks
      Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
      Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
      Finding New Friends, Circle of Friends
      Finding New Friends
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:08:56 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 449 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.