Browsing: Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set

Sometimes fudge just doesn't set. Short of using it for a syrup or spread, you may want to try to fix it and successfully get it to set. This is a guide about fixing fudge that didn't set.

Making Fudge
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 24, 2015 Flag

I made fudge, but it will not set. What can I do to save it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You might try these, Nordle: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66115322.tip.html, but I can tell you from years of experience making fudge for gifts, "find a better recipe."

Eagle Brand has an excellent one which never fails and doesn't need a candy thermometer (if you can't find it, message me and I'll send it to you. In the meantime, you have an excellent ice-cream topping which might also be fun as a fruit dip.

Having read all the posts answering this question, I decided to just put my unset mixture back in the pan and heat to 237 degrees. I was sure my mistake had been to remove it from the heat too early first time round. Anyway, after reaching that temperature and then beating it to a thick consistancy, back it went into the tin and after another 30 mins it set and was fantastic. This recipe was basically sugar, evaporated milk, water and butter and a bit of vanilla extract.

December 23, 2014 Flag

My fudge is soft, what can I do?

By B

Best Answer

My fudge didn't set either I figured because I used chocolate/ peanut butter chips. & marshmallow cream. Something I have never used before. I wasn't about to give up. I went and bought chocolate bark for use of candy. Put 4 chip of them in a bowl and re-heated and put in icebox.

If you can't fix it, use it as ice cream topping or pour over an unfrosted cake just before serving. It should keep just fine in a jar in the fridge for several weeks.

Put back on heat let boil for a little while and take off heat and add some powder sugar till it starts to thicken put not to much . And this should fix it . I fixed my like this

Read More Answers...

December 16, 2010 Flag

My daughter has made some fudge that isn't setting. What can she add to thicken it? I thought of cornstarch, but we don't know how much or if it will change the flavor. I hope someone can help us out.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Best Answer

I think the only thing that might work is adding powdered sugar a bit at a time until it gets to the point that it will hold its shape. I did that once when I was making pecan logs and the center part just would not hold its shape. I added powdered sugar until it did and didn't waste a drop. It takes some work to mix it all in though.

my fudge came out soft, So I am going to Buy a bag of pretzels and place the not quit as hard as it should be fudge square apon a pretzel:))

Do not add powder sugar. This will make it toooo sweet,

Put it in microwave till it starts to boil, then beat it

Read More Answers...

January 15, 2015 Flag

For the first time I made Jack Daniels fudge yesterday. It has been in the fridge for 24 hours and not set.
When the mixture was in the pan it got to the boiling point and was hot enough, so I put marshmallows in.
Can you give any advice on what I can do with this mixture? It had hardened on top, but is gooey underneath.

By Lucy

Best Answer

At Christmas I make Bourbon Balls and I'll tell you,the alcohol in it is the problem. It will practically melt the Chocolate when you're dipping them. I'm sure the problem has been solved by now but next time, whip up a dark chocolate cake mix and frost it with the fudge - similar to a Milky Way Cake.

Serve over ice cream?

Try making a Jack Daniels cake or cupcakes. Make a white cake (mix or from scratch), and stir the fudge in after making the batter. Bake at a 25 degrees lower temperature, and probably a few minutes longer than the cake recipe says, as the extra sugar may scorch at the higher temperature.

You can also try JDsicles. Mold the fudge into balls, put in a popsicle stick in each, freeze and then eat like a popsicle when frozen. Hope this helps.

December 24, 2011 Flag

My fudge won't set. It's soft and has set overnight. What can I do?

By ktjonas from Tucson, AZ

Best Answer

You can also add powdered sugar. Heat the fudge until it is very soft and almost liquid and add enough powdered sugar to stiffen it up.

Best Answer

You need to cook your fudge longer so the sugar will 'set.'

December 3, 2014 Flag

Can I throw soft fudge into the oven to get it all to set?

By Krissie

Best Answer

I would think that storing it in the refrigerator in a covered vessel would work better at getting it to set up.

December 29, 2015 Flag

My son helped me make a batch of fudge. I told him to put the chocolate chips and stick of butter in a large mixing bowl and melt it in the microwave. I then put ten marshmallows and two cups of sugar in a heavy skillet and asked him to open a can of evaporated milk. Since I only had tall cans I told him to only put half of can in there.

I put the sugar in the skillet and turned to get the milk, he had poured it in with the chips and butter. I tolded him we had to have the milk to melt the sugar and marshmallows. It doesn't take very long to cook the sugar once it starts bubbling. It's the first time I've cooked fudge on an electric stove. We let it cook about 15 minutes. Usually it cooks in 4 minutes. I told him to go ahead and pour it over the chips and butter. It so happened, I only needed 6ozs of milk, but he poured the whole 12 ozs in the bowl of chips and butter So it runs like syrup. How do I get it to set up?

A recipe is a chemistry formula; changing the formula in any way will produce a different result. Some recipe errors can be corrected to produce a similar result to the original; most cannot. Try your runny fudge over ice cream?

December 19, 2013 Flag

I made candy cane fudge, and it isn't setting! I substituted condensed milk for sweetened condensed milk, but I used an online recipe and added sugar for the condensed milk. Should I reheat it? Or add powdered sugar to it?

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesMay 29, 2013
Fudge Recipes
Fudge Recipes
Fudge Making Tips
Fudge Making Tips and Tricks
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:07:47 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.