Can I Put New Formica Over Old Formica?

Can I replace old Formica countertops with new Formica right on top of the old?

By Ginny from Ronkonkoma, NY

Are you talking about just an overlay or completely new countertops? If you are talking about the complete countertop I would that would get to being awfully thick. If you mean just applying something like a vinyl overlay, it should work. However, most of the formica covered countertops that I have seen have kind of a rounded edge that the actual formica covers in one continuous piece with the flat surface. Could you paint them? They make speical paints for this purpose. I would recommend asking advice at your home improvement store.

Yes you can add new formica directly over the old formica countertops. Just be sure they are very clean and dry. If there are bad places in the old countertops the bad places need to be cut out and a well-fitted patch needs to be put in before the new formica goes down. I had this done to my countertops a couple of years ago with 2 replacement patches where a very hot pot had been set leaving a bad burned and ruined area was. It is impossible to see where the patch had been applied.

Home and Garden Repair Home KitchenFebruary 6, 2011
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases