Preparing a Wall for Paint After Removing Wallpaper

Category Painting
Once the wallpaper has been removed the wall will need cleaning, repair if necessary, and prep before painting. This is a guide about preparing a wall for paint after removing wallpaper.

When removing the wallpaper the old paint also came off in many areas. Can I feather, prime, and use flat paint to get a better look?

By Bill from MI

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I agree with removing paper with vinegar. Than wash the walls and paint them with KILZ. Use two coats of the KILZ and than add the desire paint to your walls. Have Fun.

Best Answer

I just did this exact thing. I sanded by hand all the drywall to as smooth as a surface as I could get it. You have to treat the drywall as unfinished at this point. I then had to do some seam repairs, so I did that and sanded those down. Then I used a primer called 1-2-3 and did 2 coats of that. Then I painted. It turned out beautifully. Lots of work, but it's wonderful. Good luck.

Anonymous

If by 'feather' you mean a light sanding to even everything out before priming and painting then the answer is yes. I suppose if you mean texturing, well, that answer would be yes too. Be sure the rest of those little flakes of remaining wallpaper are gone before priming. ;-)

Wash walls with what

How to fix damage to the face paper after removing wallpaper with a steamer? Removing the wallpaper has left "hanging chads" of gray paper along with the goughs (divots) that the chad use to cover. 2/3 of the walls have about 5000 chads to remove. Is there a quick and easy way to do this?

One person at the rental store told me she used a razor to shave the chads off (in about 40 hours), thinly plastered to fill in the divots, and immediately sponged over the plaster to level it. Is there an automatic level liquid I can use on walls or a type a paint that will make the chad lie down, fill in the divots, and blend smooth (other than heavy textured paint, although I might go this way). The chad/divot texture looks awful.

Charlie from E Alton, IL

Answers:

You all are wasting too much time and money, not to mention energy removing wallpaper. I've been doing it for about 15 years now. The trick is white distilled vinegar mixed with hot water. Take washcloth and rub on wallpaper. The vinegar dissolves the paper glue and the hot water makes it easy to pull off. (03/19/2010)

By lovinggal28