Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Contact Paper

How do you peel off contact paper?

By jgann from Saint Louis

By Mary Warren [7]09/06/2009

Try using a hair dryer or anything that heat the glue and pull the paper off.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Contact Paper

I need to remove some contact paper from my kitchen cupboards in the house we are moving into? Please help.

Sandi from Iowa

RE: Removing Contact Paper

Try using a hair dryer to heat the paper, makes it easy to peel off. I had some on a wall many years ago and I used an iron with a elastic pressing cloth over the sole plate and that worked too! (12/05/2004)

By Syd

RE: Removing Contact Paper

I agree with the hair dryer method of helping to free up the paper but then you are still stuck with the gummy glue mess....use WD-40, spray on an let sit a minute or two and wipe clean, works great for removing store tags, marker writing on sale items, etc. (12/06/2004)

By Barbie

RE: Removing Contact Paper

HEAT WITH A HAIRDRYER-PULLS OFF MUCH EASIER. (12/06/2004)

By GENA LIPSCOMB

RE: Removing Contact Paper

Cola -- My supervisor accidentally spilled her Coca cola at one of the hair dressing stations and the contact paper peeled right off! Goes to show you a person should NOT put in their stomach what can melt glue! (12/07/2004)

By Fran Marie

RE: Removing Contact Paper

A blow dryer will loosen it and make it simple to remove. (12/21/2004)

By Franni

RE: Removing Contact Paper

The Hair Dryer works great. The time required to remove very old contact paper is very minimal. (12/24/2005)

By

Archive: Removing Contact Paper

We recently removed contact paper that had been applied to the outside of all our kitchen cabinets. All of the paper came off, but it left a very sticky adhesive residue on the wood cabinets. We've tried everything under the sun, but haven't been able to remove it. We've tried MEK, Acetone, Turpentine, and something that Home Depot recommended. We need to get it off so we can sand and then paint. Help. Is there something that would work for this?

DottyinCA

RE: Removing Contact Paper

Wet a clean cloth with any kind of cola. Keep rubbing until all the glue is gone. I found this out years ago when we spilled cola on a contact-paper-covered counter and it immediately started to peel. Be sure to follow with clean water until any cola residue is gone. The stuff is wicked. (Which is why I don't drink soda anymore.) (07/31/2004)

By Fran Marie

RE: Removing Contact Paper

WD 40 is the best remover of "sticky stuff". (06/28/2007)

By Graycrab

RE: Removing Contact Paper

Try Gum Out, or alcohol, or a combination of both. (06/29/2007)

By Audrey

RE: Removing Contact Paper

There is a orange substance called Goo Gone. It's made especially to remove sticky stuff. You can find it at Wal-Mart in the cleaning aisle for about $3. (09/06/2007)

By Sally Mae

Archive: Removing Contact Paper

How do I get Contact paper off wood?

By delikat from Greece

RE: Removing Contact Paper

I've read you can heat it up (just a bit) with a hair blowdryer. (05/19/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Removing Contact Paper

I can associate with your problem of having to get contact paper off wood. Please see my post on this website entitled "Use A Hair Dryer To Remove Contact Paper From Shelves". I can honestly say that the blow dryer worked wonders in my kitchen cabinet. I can also say that I will never use contact paper ever again. Hope this helps you with your problem. (05/19/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

RE: Removing Contact Paper

I like to use contact paper in drawers and on shelves, but I just never remove the backing, sticking it down with either thumb tacks or poster adhesive. (05/20/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom