My Mood Cat

My Siamese is a moody teenager. Her sister Patch is a love-crazy purr machine. But Casey is not. The best word to describe her is "emo". She rarely ever socializes. The one room she stays in is a room we do not use. She hides under the chair, in the fireplace, in my electric organ (not safe I realize), and other places which we have not discovered yet. Sometimes she is a very charming cat. She'll come out into the living room begging for attention. She'll let you pet her. But the moment you make eye contact or say her name, she flees! And then she will hide from you and won't come out unless you try to drag her out (Which is dumb and I have stopped doing that) or if it's feeding time.

I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She used to sleep on my shoulder and would let anyone pet her. She now hates to be picked up and hisses at everyone except for the immediate family. She hates the dog and runs away whenever she comes near. We have a rather large dog but she's a whimp too. Is there any way to make Casey less broody?

I have tried many different things. I talk to her softly. I am very gentle and I coax her with food. But it rarely does much good. She won't eat any treats I offer her anyway. Help!

Choco from Orange Country, CA

I raise siamese cats and they can be very moody but they are also very strong willed cats. These are cats that really do require a lot of attention as they get moody and antisocial when left too their own devices when young. You need to keep her out of rooms that you don't want her in. She will get very territorial of that room and will defend it and there is nothing worse than an angry siamese. If you can close off your room and not let her in there to force her to be with the family is really the only solution. We had our male decide he liked our family room and would not even let the females in there, let alone our dogs. We crated him for a couple of days and that straightened him out. We have a large airline carrier that we use for time outs. We put a cat box in there and food and water and no matter how they wail and she will she has to stay until you can pick her up without the hissing. Don't let her out with her first good behavior either. She need to know that her behavior was unexceptable. Also we use a squirt gun for discipline when he or any of the females act out. Who wants a cat that hisses and scratches? The squirt gun acts like another cat peeing on them. In the cat world that is the biggest insult. But it also teaches them that you are the boss. Right now she thinks she is. But know this each cat as in each person has a different personality, She just may be a cat that likes to be a loner. Does she sleep with her litter mate? Spaying her would help a lot too, She may see your purr machine getting all the attention even though it is her fault she does not get attention and be jealous.

Good luck and this should help you to have a more lovable Casey.

I'm afraid she may not change. Once a cat has grown, in my experience, you can change bad behavior by the squirt gun method, but you can't make them more lovey dovey. One of my cats was very friendly until a 'friend' of my ex obviously did some thing to her she did not like when i was at work. She's never been the same since. Sounds like someone may have done something you'll probably never know about. But just keep doing as you have been. My girl won't go to bed with me, but when i wake up she's there. Maybe after a long time if she's not exposed to whoever freaked her out, she'll become more friendly and trusting.

Has your cat been spade? Raging hormones in a teenage cat is just like a teenage person!!! Having her fixed could bring out the lovey kitty you once knew. For her safety and sanity it is the responsible thing to do as a cat owner.

Siamese Cat
Siamese Cat Breed Information and Photos
Photos Pets CatsFebruary 18, 2007
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
smiley faces drawn on toes.
Putting Yourself in a Better Mood
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Dealing With Mood Changes
Dealing With Mood Changes
🎄