Organizing Toys

I have a 3 and 4 year old and they're currently sharing a room. They're overrun with toys, and I need a good organization tip to get all of them separated and together.

By k.sowders

Best Answer

If the kids have regular twin beds, get the clear plastic "under the bed" storage things. Each one has their own (however many) with their names on them. Depending on the number of toys, put pictures on the ends of the bins so they know, legos goe in this bin, Barbies go in that bin, etc...

Best Answer

I used to work at Headstart. What we did is get the children involved in organizing the toys and putting them away.

First, if you have any shelves, have them help outline the toys that will fit on the shelves, explaining that each toy now has it's own home when not in use.

For toys like soldiers, match cars etc. create a circle which you make or buy a circular tablecloth. As an example, we made a track on the inside of the cloth, put a drawstring along the edge and when done playing with the cars, the cloth is drawn up and hung along with other bags which hold other groups of toys which like to play together.

If you have room to hang something from which these bags can hang, you can put a pic on each bag, but it won't be long before your children will know what each holds. This works in a classroom of preschoolers and it sure has worked in my home.

BTW: if you decide to use bins. make them small enough that each will only hold so many toys. This way each can be designated as a 'home' for the toys it holds.

Sturdy cardboard boxes can work quite well! Liquor stores sell heavy ones. You could put pictures of the types of toys each box should hold, so the boys can match box for box. You might also ask a local laundromat to save the large detergent buckets they often use; those can be great catch-alls, too.

My eldest son is a drywall contractor and the mud buckets make great storage cans. I had a child at 40 and the big brother provided several mud buckets for toys. These are great and they have snap on lids which will allow for a place to sit or even stacking one on another. I wouldn't go any higher than two. The little guy called them his stuff buckets.

An playroom with bins and toys arranged on shelves
Organizing Toys
Parenting General Parenting Getting OrganizedMarch 6, 2011
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Civil War Playmobil character.
Organizing Playmobil Toys
Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys