Wildlife: Fawn

I was lucky enough to see this fawn, let alone have it decide to scratch an itch!

By Cindy

Cute. My first thought was to laugh at the fawn's "Salute. " GG Vi

Adorable lucky shot and I thought the same thing GG Vi did. :-)

June 6, 2011 Flag

This fawn is a few days old. It was born in our yard, here it is resting under a tree near our house. The Mom is nowhere to be seen. It was found by my wife while picking garlic mustard in our yard.

By Rob F.

A fawn sleeping under a tree in Wisconsin

Absolutely love this photo!

Truly a very rare sight. Mama goes off and leaves them to eat but you must have a very large yard. They have no smell at that age so unless they move they don't figure they are seen. I have seen them with mama but never just walked up on one. Experience of a lifetime I am sure.

The mother must have been a frequent visitor to your yard, and trusted it to be a safe place to leave her baby. Most unusual though. How nice to have the mother deer trust you so much.

I would want to put out food for her if possible. Uncooked oatmeal, cut apples and carrots, dry cereal. Whatever is natural, wholesome and grainy. Beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing it.

Pookarina

July 8, 2011 Flag

We went away for the weekend, and we stopped at Elk Neck State Park in North East Maryland. Along the side of this road was a brave little fawn that didn't seem to notice that we stopped our car right next to her.

Little fawn

August 5, 2010 Flag

I was having my coffee in the sunroom when something caught my eye in the yard. At first I thought it was a neighbor dog. Looking closer, I see it is a baby deer. He couldn't have been more than a week old.

I grabbed my camera and got a shot. I looked around for momma but didn't see anything. Poor little thing started running up the field next door. I looked this morning but no sign of him or his mother. I hope he found her.

By Peggy

Wildlife: Fawn

Answers:

Wildlife: Fawn

Most likely the fawn was not abandoned. Once a doe gives birth to a fawn, she will leave them alone for a time. She will only return to nurse them.

When fawns are born they do not have a scent on them but the mother does. Since the mother does have a scent, she would draw in predators. So she stays away from the fawn for a while, I forgot for how long.

Our PA state game commissioner explained this to me. We had a newborn fawn on our property and thought it was abandoned. We didn't touch it, just watched it.

He told me some people will take the fawn, thinking it was abandoned and notify them. When this happens usually the fawn never gets back to the mother and must be hand raised. So if you ever see a newborn fawn, just let it be, Mom is near by. (06/15/2010)

By mkymlp

June 14, 2010 Flag

Our friends had a house fire last year causing them to move out while the house was being renovated. Since we live on a country road, we get to see a lot of deer in our yards. Since no one is living in their home right now, this little fawn was napping under a Hosta plant. We almost didn't see her.

We knew better than to touch her or hang around too long, so I took a couple of quick pictures before leaving her alone. She is fine, since the following day, she was frolicking with her mother in the woods behind the home.

By Patti

Wildlife: Fawn

Answers:

Wildlife: Fawn

Awwwww! :) (05/28/2010)

By PainterLee

Wildlife: Fawn

I loved your photo. Thanks. (05/28/2010)

By mulberry204

Wildlife: Fawn

What a wonderful photo of such a cute baby! Thumbs up! (05/28/2010)

By Deeli

Wildlife: Fawn

That is the cutest! (05/28/2010)

By soneal1027

Wildlife: Fawn

I love it! How precious and how lucky you were to see her. Thank you for sharing this picture. You've started more smiles than you are aware of. (05/28/2010)

By Beth

Wildlife: Fawn

Aww, thanks for sharing your tale and pic. I'm glad the little gal is well and happy. (06/03/2010)

By JustPlainJo

May 27, 2010 Flag

Wildlife: Fawn

This is a picture of a baby deer that we found on our property the other day when we went to pick tomatoes. She was lying right beside the garden fence and she made a little cry, or we would never have known that she was there. I was able to take some great photos with my phone before leaving. We saw her later with her mom, so we know that she was not abandoned.

By one.of.a.kind from Locust Fork, AL

Answers:

Wildlife: Fawn

I love deer! They are so pretty/handsome and fawns are just the cutest :-) (09/17/2009)

By Deeli

Wildlife: Fawn

Great picture! You were fortunate to get so close. (09/19/2009)

By nowens

Wildlife: Fawn

What a precious photo. Thank you so much for sharing it. You have made my day. Bless you! (09/19/2009)

By wsurfs

Wildlife: Fawn

How wonderful God is with his creatures. (09/19/2009)

By sillepeanut

Wildlife: Fawn

She's beautiful! How lucky you were to be there. (09/21/2009)

By Beth

Wildlife: Fawn

How awesome, so sweet and innocent God's work. (09/27/2009)

By meoowmom

September 17, 2009 Flag

This little guy lost his footing trying to run after his mom when we drove into our driveway. It only took a few minutes before he was up and reunited with his waiting mother.

Fawn (Baby Deer) standing in the grass.
Fawn (Baby Deer) Information and Photos
Photos WildlifeAugust 5, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
Raccoon looking for goodies in a waste bin
Protecting Wildlife from Your Garbage
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife
🎄