Hammering a Nail or Screwing Into Stone

I would like to hang a wreath outside on my stone chimney. Can anyone tell me what nail or screw would go through stone? I was sold some masonry nails, but they just bounced right off (and onto my now sore thumb).

Thanks for your help!
Joynchocolate from Lancaster, PA

I saw a brick wreath hanger in a Miles Kimball catalog, it was a small metal device that clamped onto the brick so you wouldn't need to drill a hole into your brick. Try a google search for Miles Kimball and request a free catalog.

Lowe's has concrete screws. They're called Tapcon and they're blue. My husband used them on his garage (to screw through the concrete blocks) and he says they work. You have to drill a hole 1st with a masonary bit. Make sure you get the right size bit for the screws that you use. It says on the package of screws what size bit you need. You can use a cordless drill or electric, doesn't matter.

My husband has done a lot of stone sculpture work and always uses a masonry bit to drill holes in brick, stone, concrete, etc.

I got that metal hanger made for bricks. It clamps

on and is secure. I got mine at Ace Hardware store.

Good luck once you find them they are great and

no holes.

Because I worry that drilling holes could introduce moisture that might cause a failure in the mortar, I too have used the clamps especially designed to hold onto brick without having to drill holes. The clamps are sturdy enough to handle my wreaths, which are large (about 36 inches in diameter) and fairly heavy.

Thanks so much for the great tips!

Carol

Hammer the nails into the cement between the stones, not on the stones themselves! It'll work then. LOL!

If you want to get someone to do it for you, check http://www.beaverinstallations.ca

They mounted my 42" plasma over the fireplace and it looks great.

You are going to have to use an anchor if you want to hang it on a stone surface. That means you will have to use a drill with a masonry drill bit. They do have screws made for masonry, but even if you got those you still will need to pre-drill using a masonry drill bit. You won't need to use a large anchor , as I couldn't imagine that weighing very much. I would suggest one of those small plastic screw anchors and a small eye hook.

When you buy your anchors, make note what size bit to purchase as every anchor requires a different sized hole. The information for that is listed on the packages. Make sure you get a drill bit made for masonry, and it will say that on the package.

Walls made from concrete, brick, stone, are very porous and will not hold a screw or a nail into them. You need something that expands to hold any nail or screws in any type of masonry surface.

I have a sand stone outside wall with cement between the stones. I need to hang a sign, approximately 36x24 inches to the wall. How do I do it?

By Aleeta

Depending on what it is, I would use a cinder block nail. Your best bet is to take the sign and go to Lowes or Homedepot and ask someone there. Show them the sign you want to hang, explain to them the wall you want to hang it on and ask for suggestions.

I actually wouldn't nail it up. I would get the metal inserts that let you screw things up. You drill a hole, slip in the sleeve and then use the screw made for the sleeve. Usually these are used for hanging stuff on sheet rock walls and are made of plastic. But I found out the hard way about hanging with these things on sand stone that you use the ones made of metal. The plastic ones don't grip in stone. I think the metal is aluminum or something like it.