Painting Glass Lamp Shades

I have white glass lamp shades on my kitchen chandelier. I want to remove them, and spray paint them a "color".

My question would be, what is the best paint to use, where to purchase it, and if anyone has painted glass lamp shades with "success"? I am a huge fan of "spray paint", but never used it on glass shades.

By MJo from Spencerport, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I know there is a paint you can use. Please go to your local craft store.

First, wash the shade with TSP. Make sure it is clean! If it is "glossy" you may have to sand it first. Your local paint or craft store may have a paint that you can use. Perhaps the "stained" glass paint i.e. the one you use to make a pane of glass to look like stained glass. Make sure the paint is heat resistant, as a light bulb can give off a lot of heat.

If you use a faux glass paint like Gallery Glass by Decoart, please follow the prep instructions that come with the paint. It does not come in spray that I know of, you may have to paint it on by hand. Or you could try spattering it on with an old toothbrush. Be sure do this technique inside a paint tent. These can be made from a cardboard box with one side cut out.

Answer

Decorating LampShades to LookOutdoorsy
Decorating Lamp Shades
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating LightingJanuary 31, 2011
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Painting Glass
Painting Glass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:52:09 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 538 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.