Very Young Kids Can Write Books

I was totally surprised when my granddaughter, who is 6, showed me a stack of six books she'd written. She came up with the idea herself to write and illustrate her own series of books. She uses only computer paper, colored pens and a paperclip to hold each book together.

She came up with this on her own, but when she brought them to kindergarten the teacher liked them so much, she had the whole class make their own. Each book is about a cat or dog she or a friend owns. But your child's books could be about anything! She also numbers each book (Book #1 "Smokey the Dirty Cat") and numbers the pages, then on the back she lists each book in the her series. If she can't write up everything by herself, she tells her mother what to write.

Me, being an artist, I get the biggest kick out of her illustrations! I'm sure she got the idea because her mother takes her to the library and reads to her so often. (They are poor but rich!) This could be a fun thing for you to do with your kids this summer, make your very own books!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Reading is a very important feature in a child's life and the earlier the better. As an author for forty years, I have found many youngsters who begin reading very early after being read to by a parent. We did a field survey and found that more grandmothers buy my books than the youth they were intended for, but, they are usually gifts for the young person of the family, many people know the importance of reading. Madison is actually reading the second book in the Paradise Series. Good luck and by the way, you can bind and print your child's work very inexpensively at Blurb.com. This company allows you to buy one book of yours or as many as you like. Dr Robert E McGinnis

Excellent way to encourage your child's passion! I'm a lifelong bookworm, and only wish I'd thought of something like this years ago!

An excellent idea. My kids liked to write their own newspaper, and I got such a kick out of all the tidbits of information they gathered. They didn't miss much, and everyone gave them "news" to write about, so as to be mentioned in the "paper". Reading to children is without a doubt one of the best gifts a parent can give to their child.

Thank you for sharing.

Songwriter

A wonderful idea! Have you seen the precious book "NO! David!" by Dav Pilkey? He originally wrote and illustrated it as a 5 or 6 yr old. It seems someone in the grown up world was always saying "No" to him. His mom kept it. Now it is very popular in school libraries all over. I bought it for my fist born, David, when he was in his late 40s. I told him this guy was following him around when he was little. After he read it he said "Mom, I had no idea!."

This grand girl of yours has promise!

It is really nice to see a child create and get a great self image from that kind of success! This is wonderful. Also, we can make books for them that explain some of the harder things, like, even if you are in time out mom still loves you, etc.

Love this idea Cyndia. You are great!

Robyn

Parenting Summer FunAugust 21, 2009
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Book Lamp
Crafts Using Books
🎄
🍂