Cooking With Fresh Pumpkins

I have a lot of smallish pumpkins. I noticed that all the cans of pumpkin say, "pure pumpkin", so I need some help. What is the easiest way to process those pumpkins for baking? I need the pumpkin mash for pie filing, as well as, muffins, scones, and quick breads? Thanks in advance for your help with this.

By Sally from Chewelah, WA

Finally a question that I know the answer to! I bake fresh pumpkins all the time because that's the only way my family likes pumpkin. None of that canned stuff for them!

I cut the pumpkin into wedges (like an apple), scoop all the insides out (seeds, etc,), put it all into a roasting pan and add a little water to the bottom. Cover the pan and roast until tender. I think I set the oven at about 350. How long it will take depends on how small the pieces are. When the pumpkin is fork tender hold it skin side down in one hand and scrape the "meat" out with a spoon held in the other hand. Use a potato masher to mash up the meat or you can use a food processor but I find this makes it too mushy for our taste. I pack it into freezer bags in 4 cups to the bag. This fits my recipe for 2 pies. there's no need to make only one pie for my guys!

Glenn's Mom,

Can you use any kind of pumpkin? I heard you should use pumpkins that are grown for eating. Rose

If the pumpkins are real small they are not pumpkins they are gourds.

I use whatever pumpkins I can find. Some are "pie pumpkins" and some are for carving. I think the pie ones are probably sweeter but I can't really tell the difference.

Cut the pumpkins in half and scoop out all the "stuff". Lay them cut side down on a baking sheet and bake at 350 F. until you can stick a fork into them easily.

Let them cool enough to handle then turn them cut side up and scrape out the flesh with a spoon. To smooth the flesh out more for use, run it in a food processor until smooth, I like to put it in one cup measures in baggies in the freezer or make up pie fulling without the eggs and freeze it in baggies measured for each pie. Just thaw, add eggs, and pour into crust and bake! Easy...as pie!

November 10, 2009 Flag

Since we are approaching fall and Halloween, pumpkins are everywhere. Use this easy way to make your own pumpkin puree.

For a whole pumpkin, stab it with a knife to create steam vents.

For a Jack-O-Lantern (less than 2 days cut), put his eyes, nose, and mouth back in where they came out. They need not fit tight.

Then cook the pumpkin whole in the microwave or in the oven until tender, like cooking a squash. Be sure to set it on a dish as it will weep juice.

Cut the pumpkin into pieces, cull the seeds, and rake the meat off the rind with a spoon. The peel comes off very easy now. Drop the meat into the blender to puree.

I like to make pumpkin pie with mine. So I put the eggs and milk into the blender first, then add pumpkin until smooth and creamy. Zip in the last ingredients and spices until well blended then freeze in a quart Ziploc bag. When I am ready to bake pumpkin pie, all I have to do is put the mix into the pie shell and bake. Sure saves time on Thanksgiving morning. (Or when that teenager comes in and announces that he must have a baked item tomorrow morning.)

By Jeannie from Okeene, OK

Answers:

Cooking With Fresh Pumpkins

Great idea for storing. I've been saving containers all summer in anticipation of the pureed pumpkin visiting my freezer in the coming weeks. (10/26/2007)

By Ron Nasty

Cooking With Fresh Pumpkins

I'm from Australia, and we use pumpkin regularly as a vegetable. It is delicious roasted - very sweet and yummy with roast meals. It is very nice boiled, or microwaved and then mashed with a little butter, and very nice also eaten mashed with potatoes. My mum used to dish this up as 'yellow potato'. It is a very nice vegetable, but one which I understand that Americans don't eat as a veggie. To cook, peel and cut into pieces or boil with skin on or roast with skin on and remove skin. Thanks. (10/26/2007)

By Julie Faint

Pumpkin Soup with Pumpkins in the Background
Cooking With Pumpkins
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsNovember 10, 2009
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
painted pumpkins
Decorating Pumpkins Without Carving Them
Cupcakes decorated as pumpkins.
Making Pumpkin Cupcakes
🎉
🎄