AdvicePets

How Do Your Pets Talk to You?

My animals have special ways of shaking their heads and other body language signs to communicate. Do you have any stories to tell of your pets talking and understanding what you say to them? I would so love to read about all of your comments and stories!

I included a pic of Phoenix the rooster, as a baby, and as he is now.

By Robyn from Tri-Cities, TN

Robyn, Thank you for your comment on my dog Ivy who was a recent contest winner! She has ways of communicating with me that make me laugh every day.

When she wants a special treat like a pretzel stick or half a rice cake, she will lie in front of me with paws stretched out in front like an Egyptian sphinx, and stick her back leg out and pump it like she's starting a motorcycle.

If she wants dinner time food, she will hook her paw around my leg and gently pull.

If I toss kibble to her as a game and I'm not doing it fast enough, she will slap the floor with her paw to tell me "Hurry up!"

Blessings from Oregon, Peggy

Anonymous

Well, among other cat speak, at 7:45 sharp every morning Rachel the Cat rubs my leg slowly once and then walks directly to the cabinet where her canned food is stored and stares at me ;-) The cat speak that always makes me feel so guilty is the loud screeching howl with a quick dash across the room when I accidently step on her tail - LOL ;-)

If I'm in a different part of the house, my dog will stand in front of my recliner and bark to tell me to come sit. He doesn't stop until I sit in the recliner. When he wants his ball he stares at me without blinking an eye. He can tell by the look on my face when I'm about to give in.

If he has to go to the vet I can't talk about it to my son because he knows what we're talking about and he runs under the bed. I think he knows just about anything we're talking about. We carry on conversations all day long in different ways.