Recipes Using Breakfast Cereal

I have been searching for ideas for using WIC cereal. I receive 48 ounces every month but we only go through about half of it. I can choose between Kix, Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats, and corn flakes. Does anyone have any great recipes or new uses for one of these cereals?

scruggle from Dublin, GA

I like to use Corn Flakes as a coating for chicken or fish before frying. Just put it in a food processor and it wil be the right texture. If you don't have a food processor, just crush in a plastic bag with a rolling pin.

If you have boxes you just can't find a use for, I am sure any local food bank or church food pantry would appreciate them. Sometimes it is just so hard to use EVERYTHING up before it goes bad.

YOU CAN ALSO USE CEREAL TO MAKE RICE KRISPIE TREATS (ANY CEREAL WILL WORK) AND CEREAL CAN BE USED IN COOKIE RECIPES TOO

Crushed Kix or Cheerios can be used in place of bread crumbs in meatloaf and any other recipe using them.

I make a "trail mix" for my daughter by mixing several different dry cereals, nuts (if they're not a choking hazard or allergy for your kids), raisins, pretzels, small crackers...whatever I have lying around the pantry, usually! Anything bite-size and dry works--don't be afraid to mix salty and sweet...kids love that. This trail mix is a wonderful snack--both at home and on the go. Great to put in lunches, too.

You can crush the corn flakes and use them to make homemade cheese sticks. My family loves to use pepper jack cheese cut into sticks. Dip the cheese into some egg, then into some flour, and then last into the crushed corn flakes. Let them sit for about 5 minutes before frying them for a few seconds in hot oil.

Hi,

Like someone said crushed corn flakes is GREAT for chicken coating. Try looking up clone recipes for shake and then bake---- I use ---corn flake crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprica, salt and pepper, then bake. You can dip in -- egg or water or milk or butter milk first. Do not save what is left if it touched raw chicken. Just sprinkle more on top before baking to use up what is left. Can spray with cooking spray if you take skin off.

I always check the company websites for recipes.

http://www.cheerios.com/recipes/recipes.aspx

go to http://www.kraftfoods.com/PostCereals and search recipes, entering in Honey Bunches of Oats

same here, http://www.kelloggs.com/us/recipes/ and search entering corn flakes

for recipes using Kix, try this or other general recipes sites

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,kix,FF.html

If you can't use all the cereal, find someone who could use it. It could be eaten as a 'starch' or 'bread' at any meal; i do this when I don't feel like cooking. Rather than high-caloried chips or other 'junk foods', fer example, they're great to snack on while watching TV.

You could give your kids a bag of it to keep them occupied when you're away from home. I've seen it at grocery stores and even a back pew of my church (as an aside, said parents also brought 'silent' toys to occupy young minds while adults were uplifted by the sermon) :o)

As to crushing the cereal, I have read (probably here on ThriftyFun!) that a good way to crush stuff is in cereal bags. Someone suggested saving the inner bags from boxes of cereal for crushing crackers with a rolling pin or can. These bags are pretty durable so that should work nicely for cereal too.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment. Check out the manufacturers' Web sites for ideas and recipes. I love to improvise in the kitchen but it's good to start with some basic ideas and work from there. Good Luck!

When my kids were still at home, I would melt some almond bark or chocolate chips (or any other flavor), add some peanut butter and add odds and ends of cereals, peanuts, raisins, mini marshmallows - anything like that - and make them into bars. Even if they didn't care for the individual items, they loved the bars adn they were relatively healthy and nutricious.

You can use these cereals to make into Rice Krispie squares along with the Rice Krispie cereal, or alone.

These cereals can be used as stretchers in any bread, cookie, or cake recipes. Also, if you wished they could be used in stretching meatloaf or hamburger patty recipes. Or as topping when mixed with a bit of melted butter on top of a casserole. Or crushed and used on top of salads, instead of croutons.

You could use the Cheerios for the kids to string up to make 'necklaces', for a rainy day project. They'd be edible, afterwards.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/wic/wicfoods/cerealrcp.html

Minnesota Department of Health has some great recipes for using different WIC products.

well, ive heared of using crushed cornflakes as chicken batter, its like knock off kfc, i know there are recipes on the internet if you look.

I found some great recipes on Kraftfoods.com that use cereal. Just put into the search POST and you'll get a bunch of recipes. There are a lot for Honey Bunches of Oats.

We used to bake chicken years ago by putting chicken is Wesson oil and seasoned crushed corn flakes and baked it. Very crispy and not fried. This was a Wesson recipe and any oil would work.

Uses for Leftover Cereal
Uses for Leftover Cereal
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJune 6, 2006
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Cornmeal
Hot Cornmeal Cereal Recipes
Cereal With Fruit
Adding Fruit to Cereal
🎄