KitchenHome Improvement

Protecting Cabinets Above Stove

I am renting a small house. In the kitchen, cabinets are above the electric cooking stove, they are approximately 2 feet from stove top. Needless to say the front of the cabinets have grease on them or other things from cooking. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can put on the cabinet doors? They hang too low for an exhaust fan.

Dee from Saint Paris, Ohio

Can you put cloth covers over them?

Make covers like pillowcases, except leave a long side open to slip them on to the doors.

That way when they get dirty you can just throw them in the wash.

If you dont like the idea of cloth, you can use vinyl.

Anonymous

I promise I am not trying to be rude here and only realistic from about four decades of personal cooking experience.

If oil/grease from cooking is 'flying up' two feet (two to two and a half feet is standard for cabinets above any stove) then you should be turning down the heat of the oil, be more careful of placing the food items in to the oil/grease, maybe use a spatter shield (sold in most stores) and immediatly wipe down spattered areas with a wet rag before the grease dries if it does spatter.

It's mainly a matter of being careful to not be a sloppy cook :-(

Go to a local store like Dollar General, Family Dollar, or WalMart and get a roll or two of contact Paper.

You can get this in a HUGE number of colours and patterns. It sticks like a sticker, is plastic so you can wash it, and peels off easily with no residue, so you can change it as often as you like! I like to paper my whole kitchen with it now and then.

You can fit it to any size and style cabinet too! fold it around the edges to keep then neat too!

When it gets dirty, just peel it off and stick on fresh!

Can you take off the doors? I have done this, hot glueing buttons over the hinge holes. You can put pretty things inside like dried flowers, or things in canisters you don't need often. You may also want to clean the exhaust fan filter, using Dawn to cut the grease. This may be unable to effectively filter the grease that is caking on the cabinets.

I have kitchen cabinets over my stove and my solution is that when I'm finished cooking and doing the washing up. I use my dishcloth from the soapy water in the sink to give the cabinets a quick wipe. They stay nice and clean and its only an extra 5 mins work. I never have greasy cabinets now.

I don't have a suggestion about "protecting" the cabinets. However, a mixture of half sudsy ammonia and half warm water sprayed on and then wiped off with paper towels will take off grease from cooking. Works great on walls and ceilings if you have a smoker in the house, too.