You Pay Extra For The Instant-On Feature On Your Television

Many television models today have an instant turn-on feature. It gives you an instant picture because it's actually operating 24 hours a day. If yours has one, disconnect it, or unplug the set when you're not using it. This device can use up to 50% of the total amount of energy your set uses in one year.

By joesgirl

Not only does the Instant On feature use the electricity when not in use, the wall plug-in can become hot and start a fire. Have seen several homes burned to the ground because of this feature.Test the wall outlet by touching the plug and if it's warmer than normal, pull the plug. Pull the plug before going to bed or whenever leaving your home.

I'll sound dumb here, but how do I know if I have this feature and how do I disable it?

Hi,

I think that nearly all modern television sets have some power going through them when they are turned off. If your TV is old, it probably doesn't have the the "Instant on" feature. One way to tell is if it comes on very quickly after being turned on. To disable it, just unplug the TV.

Hope this helps,

Susan from ThriftyFun

Yes, it does cost money but the tv uses so very little energy and the savings is just a nickle or two and pennies a day for most new models. So if you want to save that. You can get a surge protecter with an on and off button on it. Use that to turn your tv on and off and also protect it if it ever got a surge like during an electrical storm. For me it is not worth it. But then thats me. I would rather save in a more worthwhile area that eat up a greater amount of money.

One way to tell is if you can turn TV on and off by the remote. There has to be a receiver that is always on to receive a signal from the remote. My TV I can turn the set off by the button on the set and cannot turn it on by the remote. I have to turn it on, on the set, then the remote will work.