SeasonalGardening

Using Shredded Paper as Mulch

Can I use shredded office paper as beneficial mulch?

Dorothy from Bemidji, MN

I add my shredded paper to the compost bin. Most newspapers use vegetable based ink, so they make nice mulch, as well.

I want to thank you for information on using paper as a mulch for gardening---I am going to try it this year.

I was wondering if I can use all types of paper for shredded mulch or just newsprint. I shred old bills, magazines, junk mail and the such all together. can I still use this as mulch? And, can it be tilted in with the soil?

(Submitted via email)

Hi Rosa. I was wondering, do you shred all kinds of paper to use as mulch? Is there any paper that is not safe for plants (as far as you know)? I shred everything together (bills, junk mail, magazines) and I was wondering if any of those materials would not be good for the plants. Have you mixed it in with the soil in the spring or you just mulch with it? Wanda

We have a paper shredder (don't we all) ? I save my shredded paper, and use it through out the year, as mulch, for my tomatoes, peppers, etc. even flowers. It breaks down and makes all kind of goodies for the soil and plants. I throw in my garden beds (raised) all winter long, and when spring gets here, I am ready to garden, just turn the soil a little. And it's free!

By Rosa