Cutting Fabric Strips

I love to make crocheted rugs with fabric strips. I am looking for something that I can cut fabric strips with. Cutting with scissors is hurting my hand. I have to use a big industrial size Gemsey, but it lays in my closet. It is more for cutting big stuff. I just do a little personal rug making. Thanks.

Regi from TX

I am a quilter and use a rotary cutter, which is used with a special "self healing" mat. THey are WONDERFUL!! New rotary cutters now even come with ergonomic designs that enable you to cut for hours. I have a quilter's ruler, but also a simple piece of plastic (plexiglass I think) cut at a glazier's to the most common width I use. That way I just line up one edge to the line I just cut, cut again, line up again, cut again ... you get the picture. I can get through meters of fabric in no time. Angie B.

Electric scissors work fine too, but can't go through many layers of fabric at a time. Keep the fabric taut while cutting.

Here's JUST what you need. These tiny "machines" are made for rug makers. They may be a bit on the Pricey side, but the expense is well worth it!... You can have a strip any size you want, with just the turn of a handle! The machines can be set to cut different size strips... You can also Google "Rag Cutter".

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/rug_making_rag_cutters.html

http://www.ragstorugs.com/plist_cutters.htm

Here's a forum where you can have more questions answered:

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=2821.msg66132

* If you DO try a rotary cutter, make sure to buy an "ergonomic" one. They sometimes cost a bit more, but you'll get a better hold & better "traction"...

* I have a friend who makes crotched rugs. She buys old sheets from the thrift store the simply tears them into strips. No cutting required!

You can also call or email these guys, as they know EVERYTHING about rug making. EVERY style & method & they also sell supplies.

RUMPELSTILTSKINS:

http://www.rumpelstiltskinsrugcrafting.com/

Black & Decker makes a cordless electric scissors that only costs $20.

I bought one and use it only for fabrics.

It's a little noisy, but it works great and saves wear & tear on my hands.

I love it!

You can tear many fabrics, especially cottons. Give it a try.

I make rugs also. I use a cutting mat, rotary cutter and a plastic ruler by June Taylor. It is about 16" square. I use it constantly. In fact, it is always on my kitchen table with the mat. It has slots in it every 1/2". The slots stop about 1 inch before the end. You fold your fabric or lay flat if it's a small piece. Put the plastic temp plate ruler on top, line up the lines to be sure it's even with the grain, place the rotary cutters blade in the slot and roll it up to the top until it stops against plastic at the end of the slot. You can find them at JoAnn Fabrics (they are about $25. but wait to use their coupons in their flyers to save $) or at Walmart (cheaper about $16). I use it for making quilt bindings, borders, sashings, rag rug strips and also strips of netting to make crocheted srubbers. I wore my first one out and have a second one. And best of all, you can get good at using it and go very fast and cut lots and lots in a small amount of time. Just watch those fingers.I simply love it.

Go to www.homesew.com.

Type "strip-it" in the search box.

Strip-It holds 4 blades that can cut up to 4 strips at a time. Blades can be adjusted to cut 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1" or 1-1/4" wide strips,

For a scout project, we laid the fabric (denim) on an old cardboard box and used a box cutter.

Do you have a serger? Unthread it and serge just as if you were finishing the edge of the fabric, except all you are doing is cutting strips letting the serger do the work.

Susan in Omaha

Joann Fabrics sells a clear plastic board with slits in it that you use with a rotary cutter. It's called a June Tailor Shape Cut board. You can fold the fabric and cut 1/2-inch or wider strips. It's in the quilting notions, maybe $15 now. Mine is 10 years old and has saved me a lot of time, effort and frustration.

I would love it if you could post your directions for making the crochet fabric rugs! And maybe a couple of pictures to help us see what they look like and how it is done? Thanks!

There are some great DVD's with step by step instructions on Amazon for Crocheting Rag Rugs --- Basic Crochet Rag Rug DVD and another more advanced (very soft) crochet rag rug instructional video called Shag Rag Rug DVD. Both are highly recommended. The dvd's include step-by-step and close up instructions using a relaxed style of teaching. It is as if you went back in time and your grandma was sitting you down and teaching you the basic of crocheting a fabric rag rug. Terrific!

I wouod say to et one of those rotary cutters quilters use. Any craft or fabric store should have them - - or check Amazon - - I believe they are made by Fiskars. Get a self-healing cutting mat to use with it. It also should have measure marks to aid you and a ruler guide for keeping the cutter going straight and protecting your hands.

Search "rotary cutters" in crats and sewing there:

ex.

Fiskars rotary cutter:

Item model number 195210-1001

ASIN B000B7M8WU

>>>

OLFA 45mm Deluxe Handle Rotary Cutter

Item model number 9654

ASIN B000BNLLHW

And while there,scroll about to see the accessories to these.

Hope this helps.

fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Crafts FabricJanuary 13, 2008
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Someone cutting light blue fabric with scissors.
Cutting Fabric Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄