Anniversary Dance to Celebrate Long-Term Marriages

At my cousin's daughter's wedding, the DJ asked all married couples to come to the dance floor. He played a song and asked anyone who had been married less than one day to leave the floor, of course the bride and groom left. He then continued the music, and asked anyone married less than one year, to also leave the dance floor. He then went in increments of five, ten, fifteen, etc. After he hit the 40 year mark, he again reduced it by years, 45, 46, 47..

I had never seen this before. When my son got married, we had the DJ do the same thing. The last two couples dancing were my sister and brother-in-law, and my son's "adopted mom and dad", longtime family friends. The newlyweds presented a bottle of champagne to the longest married couple. And a picture was taken of the four of them. It was a huge hit, as people were saying, "You've been married how long?" I just wanted to share this fun idea!

By Marge from Malden, MA

What a nice idea, to share the spotlight on the newlyweds' special day!

I went to the wedding of a friend's daughter in December 2007 and they did this. It was the first time I'd seen it. My husband and I ended up being the second longest married, at 38 years. (It will be 39 in a few days!) I thought it was a lovely idea, as it seemed a special way to honor marriage - how appropriate at a wedding!

How wonderful for the newlyweds to honor the marriages of the ones who went on before. Guess when those 40+ years marrieds said 'I DO', they meant it, eh?