Reupholstering Wooden Armchairs

I have dining armchairs with cushion on the back and bottom and I need to reupholster them. I want to do them myself, but don't know where to begin. I've come across tons of instructions for seats that the cushion can lift off, but not for the armchair.

I can't see the tacks, staples, or nails. The wood frame doesn't allow me to see anything, the wood frame goes all the way around and has no visible nails. I don't know where to start. HELP!

Jessme from Phoenix, Arizona

Rip the old covering off and use it for a pattern. Take notes (draw sketches if you like) as you take it off and then put the new on in reverse order.

There has to be someplace on the bottom of the chair frame where they've screwed the cushion base on. The holes for the screws may be closed up with wood plugs, pry them out and you'll see the screw head. This looks like a fairly simple job once you find how to remove the cushion...it will most likely have the fiber board frame inside the upholstery fabric, stapled on around the edges...remove those and the layers will come right off, then you can use as a pattern without any ripping.

You may have to remove the base to get at the any screws etc You will most likely have to take the chair(s) apart to re-upholster them. I can't tell, do they swivel? I was also thinking you might want to try just slipcovering them if they don't swivel.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsMarch 30, 2008
Wooden Spoon Deer
Wooden Spoon Reindeer Craft
Leather Recliner
Reupholstering a Recliner
A green decorative tray painted with gold leaves.
Making a Painted Wooden Tray
Wooden Santa Claus
Making a Wooden Santa Claus
🎉
🎄