Using Straw Bales For Gardening

This idea is very old, my grandmother used to have straw bale gardens. It was great for her not to have to stoop over to pick and weed her garden. I have done this type of gardening for the past 3 years and had very good results.

You start with Straw bales (not hay) DO NOT cut the strings on the bales. Start with a 2 in layer of organic fertilizer and a 4 inch layer of top soil, pat it all down and try to work it into the straw a little bit, then you plant like you would a regular garden. You do need to water a little more. I use a soaker hose about 30 minutes a day during the hot season. You can also plant marigolds into the sides of the bales to keep away pests.

After a couple of years you will need new bales, the old straw is now starting to degrade and compost so is good for your flower beds or compost it into a regular garden.

By Kalene from Oregon City, Oregon

That is such a unique idea, I've never seen that.

I am trying this next year! Very clever! :)

What's the difference between straw and hay?

<b> Editor's Note </b> Straw is the stalks of grains like oats and free of seeds. Hay is usually a mixture of grasses and legumes that includes the seeds.

wood framed garden bed
Building Raised Beds
Home and Garden Gardening PlantingOctober 9, 2008
Several raised garden beds full of lush plants
Making a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
Straw Hat
Fixing a Straw Hat
Woman in Straw Hat
Dyeing a Straw Purse or Hat
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
🎉
🎄