Finish Shampoo with Cold Water Rinse

This little tip could have been given in the Frugal Living Category, although I started using it long before being very frugal became a necessity.

After shampooing and rinsing your hair in warm water, make your final rinse as cold as you can stand, either from the tap, or I've even used ice water in summer. It causes all the "scales" of the hair shaft to close back up (warm water opens them) and your hair will be as silky as can be. I was taught to always brush as much loose hair as possible out before shampooing since it's usually the loose hair which causes the worst snarls.

The cold final rinse eliminates the need for cream rinse of any kind and greatly reduces the need for any other type of conditioner except for extremely dry and brittle hair.

I've been using the cold water rinse now for over 50 years, and even though my hair is thinning, (I am now 75 years of age), my hair is as silky and glossy as anyone could ask for. It is naturally silver in color too; never been colored by dyes or color rinses and I've donated well over a yard of "virgin" hair to "Locks of Love" over the past 20 years. I give all the credit of having good hair to the use of that cold water final rinse. Never using anything that coats or harms the hair shaft.

Of course, no one ever uses an awful lot of cream rinse or hair conditioner, but it's nice not to have to buy any of those things. Just a good shampoo, and that's it.

Hope this helps some other ladies out there.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL (better known as Pookarina, Mother of Sir Catty-Kit)

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I agree. Also a final cold blast all over after a shower really gets you going however tired you are.

Marg from England.

Wow! I'm going to try this, most conditioners make my hair oily and flat.