Home Remedies from the Kitchen for Grease Stains

I was just wondering if anyone knew of house hold products, i.e. spices that I can clean with. I have used salt before and let it sit, vacuum then brush and vac one more time. However, I am out of salt. I don't have vinegar or baking soda. Would baking powder, corn starch, or any other product work to clean grease stains, mostly from my chef shoes. Thanks. Any help would be great.

By azchef from AZ

Best Answer

I have used many grease cleaners and have found the DAWN dish detergent is the best degreaser ever. It works on just about everything with a clean sweep. You might have to soak it into the shoes and let set before you wash. You could even wash them in the soap that has been dispersed into the shoes. Hope this works for you.

Best Answer

Also, azchef,(from az also) I use Dawn straight on dish cloth for stove hoods and hard surfaces. It works fantastic and uses very little and much cheaper than any thing else I have found.Use in your kitchen and you'll be very happy with it. It's the only thing I use in my kitchen.

Try baby powder. Put on grease stain and let sit for a while. It worked on grease I got on work shirts even after they were washed and dried once. And also used on pair of pants that had grease stain on them, put baby powder on it, folded it up to keep powder on grease until I was ready to do laundry the next time. It didn't work when a bottle of olive oil and I didn't get along - lid came off and soaked my shirt and pants. What got on my shoes came out though. The shoes aren't like athletic. Think they are like brushed leather.

I use ammonia - when I worked in donut bakeries it cleaned everything covered with grease.