Cat Won't Drink Water

I have a 6 month old kitten and she will not drink any water. She will drink milk and the gravy in cat food, but she refuses to drink water. We live in the city, could it be city water? Please help.

By Enola from Mason City, IA

That is normal for a cat of that age but believe it or not cats are generally allergic to milk. Just put water there and leave it eventually she will get thirsty enough and drink the water. It is called spoiling your cat. LOL

Don't laugh but my cat only drinks filtered water! He'll drink milk and used to drink tap water, until he drank filtered water from my glass! I have a Brita water filter jug in my fridge for me (and now the cat). lol

Cats get a high percentage of the water they need form their food. Cats were originally desert animals. If your cat is eating canned food and milk he may be getting enough. Cats on dry food are another matter and need water at all times. Be sure to have water available at all times just to be safe. Many cats like running water in the sink or fountains sold for them in pet stores.

Try filtered /purified water. The chemicals used in tap water is bad enough health wise for humans. Cats have a natural instinct when it comes to not eating or drinking things that are not good for them.

When our 16 year old feline aka our baby aka princess Coco got diagnosed with Cancer she stopped drinking water, our wonderful Vet recommended (you can get them at Petsmart) a drinking fountain. He told us that Cats have a natural love for moving water. This fountain /drinking bowl also has a filter, that needs to be replaced every so often.

The fountain is about 45 dollars but was a hit with miss Coco she started drinking within 6 hours and just loved her fountain till the end purring and tail wagging. We did fill up the fountain with only purified water. I hope this helps if you got the extra dollars this was one of the best investments for our baby.

Pets CatsFebruary 4, 2010
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Rust in Water Pipe
Removing Rust From Inside Water Pipes
Homemade Vitamin Water
Homemade Vitamin Water Recipes
🎄
🍂