Spaghetti Instead of Toothpicks

All five of my children love when I make homemade flautas for dinner. As I was preparing to fill the tortillas for frying, I found that someone had used the last of my toothpicks for a school project! Oh no! How in the world can I hold the flautas together without making a mess and burning myself while frying them?

Then, in a stroke of genius, I pulled out a box of uncooked spaghetti noodles. They worked just as good as toothpicks for holding the flautas together, and they were edible! I could easily break them to different lengths to accommodate fatter flautas, and I didn't have to worry about the toothpicks splintering!

By Jen from Albuquerque, NM

Great tip. Thanks for sharing.

You can also use this method to hold cake layers together while you frost them.

Excellent idea and you saved oodles of money and helped by being more Green by not using the toothpicks too!

January 8, 2010 Flag

If baking a cake and you are out of toothpicks to test to see if it is done, use a piece of uncooked spaghetti instead.

By Sandy from Graettinger IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great idea! Thanks!

September 28, 2011 Flag

My caretaker wanted to make a meal that required toothpicks to hold it together while it cooked, but we didn't have any so we used spaghetti broken into the proper lengths and it worked great. There were no worries about biting into wood because it's edible.

By robin from Tobyhanna, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsMay 15, 2011
Uses for Toothpicks
Uses for Toothpicks
Storing Toothpicks
Storing Toothpicks
pot of chili con carne
Chili Spaghetti Recipes
Spaghetti Taco Recipes
Spaghetti Taco Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 5:12:30 AM on 10.0.0.134 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.