Spots Appearing on Carpets

I am seeing some small brown stains on my carpet. Initially I started seeing them on the basement carpet. I don't have a finished basement. I just carpeted the basement floor so that kids can play on it. I do not think they are mold stains as the house is only 4 years old and never had a leak anywhere in the house or a damp floor. Also, I cut some carpet in the basement and did not see any evidence of mold on the floor underneath the carpet or on the back side of the carpet.

Now I am seeing similar spots on the carpet on my first and second floor. Most of the stains are actually in the 2nd floor near bathroom entrances and in the walk-in closet areas. I have the Berber carpet and the stains are the size of small finger nail. They just look like someone dropped some oil drops here and there. I have around 6 or seven spots in each area.

We don't know how they got there. They are a mystery for us. I bought a few carpet cleaning sprays from Wal-Mart and tried it on my basement floor and it did not work. Earlier we had a rodent (small mice) problem in our house which we took care of. So, I thought maybe a small mouse is running around the house and is excreting urine/poop and was causing this.

I set up mice traps with no luck. Also, typically mice poop is visible and since that was not the case we ruled it out too. If not mice could it be some kind of fly? Can someone help me to understand what these spots could be and how to get rid of them? Your help will be much appreciated.

Bob from Chicago, IL

Is all the carpet from the same roll? Could be a problem with the carpet itself? Check and see if there is a warranty.

No, it is from many different roles and types. Thanks.

It sounds to me like it is something that someone in the family is using on their feet. Does anyone use any wart medicine or lotions or anything like that? Could it be something is being tracked in from the bathroom on bare feet? Since these stains are by the bathroom and closets, it strikes me as something coming off of bare feet. Or something used to clean in the bathroom being tracked throughout the house?

I agree with the first poster's idea about feet. Does anyone in the family put lotions or oils on their feet? If so, and it does not completely soak in, it could appear as spots on your carpet.

I live in an apartment and have the same problem! So do some of the other tenants! Its ruined my rug also! This building was flooded a few years ago, could it be mold?

We have seen exactly similar spots and worried about the source! Did any one got any idea? Please post your comments. Thank you all.

The same sort of oily feeling staining appeared on my carpet in the last day. Some is near a wall, but not all. Stains covered a very large area in a very short time.

I live alone and they could not have been caused by anyone other than me - And I know it wasn't me.

The carpet is very old. I have no pets. The staining is in an area where foot traffic is not really possible.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetFebruary 17, 2009
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Man Steam Cleaning a Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet Cleaning
🎄