Repairing Electrical Cord

I borrowed a Bosch dvs1274 belt sander and accidentally got the cord caught in the belt and it is torn. I want to replace the cord but it is 16 feet long and when I called Bosch they said their replacement cords are 10 feet long. I can't find a 16-foot anywhere! However, since the tear is only about 6 inches from the plug, could the cord just be cut at the tear and re-attach the plug?

Erika from Wisconsin

Cut the cord where it's torn, remove outer covering, strip end of wires so you can see the wire, about 1/2 inch. Do the same with the plug end, and attach the wires according to the color of the wire covers. When wires are connected by twisting them, decide if you want to solder or tape them. Once connected, keep wires seperated by taping one set of wires and then do the other set.

You can buy a heavy duty replacement plug from a home center like Lowe's or Home Depot, usually for less than $3. Explain to a salesman in the electrical department what you did and they'll show you a plug and tell you how to attach it, a very simple job. Since you borrowed the item and would like to return it with a safe 'patch', it would be nice to replace it with a really good quality plug, cutting the cord and stripping the wires back at the damaged spot. This would only shorten the cord a few inches, hardly noticeable. It would also be thoughtful to save the old plug on the few inches of cord and actually show the owner what had happened, and apologize profusely, lol... All of us feel awful when we borrow something and have to return it damaged, but speaking as a 'lender', I don't mind it so much if the person has made an honest effort to repair it with a really good repair and didn't try to hide it. I'd loan an item again to a friend like that. :^)

How about wapping the tear w/ elec. repair tape? That way, you can apologize, explain what happened, and leave it to the descretion of the owner to decide if he/she wants to replace the plug. Offer to pay for the plug, ofcourse.

FYI it's always better to crimp rather than solder.

June 19, 2016 Flag

I have a vintage automatic blanket in which the heating wire is broken (interrupted). If I could get such wire, I would be able to change it. Now where can I purchase this type of wire?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is indeed vintage, it is possible the wiring doesn't exist anymore. And that might be a good thing. Something that is old might not be safe so if you really want to do this, I would consult an electrician. Good luck.

I agree with Sandi. You are trying to burn your house down. There's thrifty and then there's unsafe.

It is June, so assuming you live in America or Europe you won't need this for a while.

If you can't afford another one, let family members know this is what you want for Christmas or your birthday, if it is upcoming.

Home and Garden Repair OtherSeptember 22, 2008
pull start mower
Repairing a Lawnmower Cord
Plug Outlet
Getting Plugs to Stay in Outlets
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Blue and white clothes iron.
Fixing a Retractable Iron Cord