Valentine's Fun for the Financially Challenged

One year we didn't have much money, and I wanted to do something my husband would remember, so I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of junk. Bear with me here, folks, it gets better! I got a whole box of kids Valentine's cards, a gigantic plastic grasshopper and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember any more. I filled out the cards--ALL of them--to him with different holiday appropriate thoughts (nudge nudge, wink wink!) and then I sent him on a treasure hunt all over the property.

I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that the grasshopper ended up in a large pile of horse ***** out by the barn. That card said something about all the ***** we'd been through together...you get the picture. At the end of the hunt, I had a small, "real" gift, and a box of homemade chocolate covered cherries. (Boy those cherries were something else. Who knew that if you soaked them in rum overnight before you cover them in chocolate, that they will flatten your beloved.!)Anyway, the whole thing probably cost me $20.00, and I guarantee you that as he sat on the couch, clutching 25 Valentine's Day cards, smiling at me through a mouthful of 100 proof candy, he'll never forget it!

Source: The demented depths of my depraved brain.

By Gina J. from Colorado

that was funny thanks for sharing

this is so sweet good for u....

thks for the idea

janet from the great white north

toronto, ontairo

that sounds so good. CONGRATS to you.

I just loved the humour of your mail and your gifts.. you are a very creative, funny woman, and your husband is lucky to have you!

Gina J.

You made my day!

Your valentine was dandy.

But how'd you get

The chocolate

To stick on cherry candy?

Hey--thanks for the poem--made me feel special before Valentine's day! Ok, the chocolate covered cherries...Don't soak them in rum unless you really like rum. Hubby ate all he could handle, then took them to work. Got most of a dirt moving crew drunk on them...very bad when running heavy equipment. Anyway, vodka would probably be better. After you soak the cherries overnight, just dry them on a towel until they are tacky enough for the chocolate to adhere. I wish I could remember where I got the recipe, but it's simple. Somebody else told me that you can also inject marshmallow cream into the cherries first--I think she mixed it with coconut milk to thin it. Anyway, just skewer the cherry with a...well, a skewer...and dip in the chocolate. I think I bought a heart shaped box and some mini muffin tin paper liners at the dollar store, and arranged my own box of chocolates. They looked good too, might I add. Wow, did they pack a punch! Highly recommended if you want to get lucky!

I hope you post often! I really enjoyed your spin on being Thrifty :)

oh,thanks for crazy memories.My Honey is no longer here to have fun with but we always tried to out do each other.Please tell us more.

Keeper

Saw a chef on the TV using a syringe to inject the alcohol into strawberries.

Frugal Valentine's Day Gifts, Saving Money on Valentine's Day
Saving Money On Valentine's Day
Holidays and Parties Valentine's Day GiftsFebruary 8, 2008
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
Adult painting a picture with watercolors.
Crafts for Mentally Challenged Adults
🎉
🎄