Browsing: Sanitizing Your Toothbrush

Sterilize Toothbrushes in the Dish Washer

Do yourself a favor and sterilize your toothbrushes in the dishwasher at least once a month.

By samzart from Laurel, MD

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I sterilize our toothbrushes in the dishwasher and it definitely gets rid of germs.

You put them in with dirty dishes? Hmm I don't like the sound of that at all, sorry. I would rather put them in boiling water or even the microwave(although I have never tried that) to kill germs.

I prefer to soak mine in hydrogen peroxide for a little while. I suppose vinegar or even mouthwash would work.

Although with good intentions, there are important facts:

first of all, NO dishwasher can "sterilize" , only "sanitizes". because they are NOT an "autoclave" that reaches highest temps to kill the worse germs. At most they reach 150-180 degrees, and kills only what is not harmful anyway, which ordinary hand soap can do as well or better.

Secondly, the harmful germs we'd want to eliminate somehow are embedded deeply down the bristle holes, and nothing can touch them there as they breed and multiply, just waiting for the next and right opportunity to attack or reinfect.

Thirdly, hot water on plastic only opens the porous spaces by expanding the plastic only to afterwards when cooled, contract and trap the worst of the germs inside the plastic, but which can leach back out again inside the warm mouth.

Fourth, I found that changing cheapest toothbrushes DAILY

when ill, SAVES BIG MONEY in preventing recontamination, as well as using cheap disposable plasticware, cups, paper plates.

Fifth, any sort of soap that has no Triclosan (now confirmed to be toxic and should not be used by humans),

will kill the HARMLESS germs which are claimed by the dangerous "Disinfectant sprays/ kills 99.9% of all common

household germs, including flu viruses." is a scam, has more danger in the propellant alone, which is usually Formaldehyde, (poisonous embalming fluid) OR ether, than the 'common germs' they CLAIM the misting kills, IF one can truly FIND where all of the germs are hiding !!! Also, ANY aerosol is a pollutant to the air, CAN BE DEADLY if inhaled when allergic, and should not be sold!! Breathing the spray chemicals will cause extra stress on the body and lungs, thereby reducing the body's resistance to infections, especially air-bourne ones.

Sixth, "germs" is too wide a term for generalizing the killing of common harmless germs. Viruses usually are not alive, unless mutated, and are hardly able to be 'killed', but are rather more like grains of sand that can be washed away

by repeated washings and water agitation, sunlight.[ One key to staying healthy is to get plenty of sunlight, dust often, eat more veggies/organics, take multi-vitamins and minerals, drink more water than juices, and wash hands frequently with hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar. I brush my teeth only with Hydrogen Peroxide which is used extensively on the battlefields for the wounded and it WORKS!

Seventh, it was recently publicized that we live in a 'CLEAN FREAK ' overly-clean society in the U.S., not allowing our body/ children to get childhood illnesses, or acquire natural resistance to common illnesses by letting them gat a bit dirty, or a bit ill. When they do get ill, it's not SO MUCH from our neglect, but rather from our over-protection of their past experiences WITH ORDINARY DIRT.

Over cleaning WITH PAPER TOWELS AND LIQUID HAND SOAP should be reserved for those possible times when exposed to really bad coughs, known fever/ aches, or

obvious worse [not worst] case scenarios.

Washing hands before handling foods is the single best and simplest thing to do to prevent illnesses. [ NOT taking the controversial vaccines, where possible, is, according to, Osteopathic/ alternative physician, NOT a good idea considering the documented horrid diseases the side effects cause, COMMENTING, "WHY VACCINATE AT ALL WHEN THE ILLNESS CURES ITSELF WITHOUT THE VACCINES!]

Toothbrushes, telephones, doorknobs, linens, upholstery,

carpets, toys and floors, with reasonable cleaning care is sufficient under normal circumstances, according to research. Avoiding a pet "kiss" us, avoiding daycares and public transportation, are both other matters that need careful consideration because the bacteria/virus count is WAY too highly concentrated at these places for best health.

If unavoidable, try to wash the child's hands, hair, and body carefully and gently just upon arriving at your home from the daycare. The staff is not fully trained, nor have proper interest or pay. Other than that there is no way to prevent airborne viruses or harmful bacteria with toothbrush washing in the dishwasher, which is more than likely going to spread any harmful thing to all the dishwasher and the dishes than to prevent further illnesses.

God bless, help and keep you. *-* : )

I am not sure how much I want to swallow dishwasher detergent. I have a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide next to my sink. After I have brushed and rinsed my brush, I dip it in the peroxide and set it to dry. Has worked for me for years.

There are tablets you can buy that you put in water to soak toothbrushes.

Also, remember to change to a brand new toothbrush every 3 months.

Sanitizing Your Toothbrush, Glass container of toothbrushes.
Sanitizing Your Toothbrush
Health & Beauty AdviceMay 11, 2010
Replacing Toothbrushes After Illness
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Plastic water jug.
Sterilizing Water Containers
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 10:24:46 AM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.