Texas Christmas Charities

I am trying to get help with Christmas toys and clothes for my kids for Christmas. I have been without work since May. I just want my kids to have a wonderful Christmas.

By Sheneshia from Waxahachie, TX

Is there public transportation, buses, cabs. I have found that paying cab fare is cheaper than maintaining a car. You are probably too late to apply for help this year. I'm sure you could get each one of them a couple items at a dollar store and they would be satisfied. Also explain to them that things are tight right now. Also aren't there grandparents and aunts and uncles that would be giving them gifts. Also low income people have to start doing their shopping much earlier in the year instad of waiting until the last minute. I start no later than February.

Perhaps try local churches? I know it is tough but Just remember however tough it gets it is better to keep you family together. Take books, music and DVD'S they will enjoy out of the lending library for entertainment, play free internet games (send me your email I will send you some urls). Spend a few dollars on simple things like candy, paper pens and glue and make your fun.

I am not very old (in my late 40's) but Christmas didn't used to be like this, they were about nice food and what was on TV! Take it back to basics, your kids will love you for the attention you will give them.

Something else I should add is where I live 9 times out of 10, the charities have the parents come and either pick out gifts to take home and wrap or else the parents have to pick up the pre-selected gifts and take them home to wrap. Once in a while a wealthy family or a business will adopt a needy family through come charity and then they deliver the gifts. When that happens the needy family really hits pay dirt. Every now and then my landlord who owns many apartment complexes and buildings that big name businesses are in will take donations of food, household items like bedding, clothes, toys, etc. for a needy family.

You should have checked into this way earlier. Most of the charities start taking apps. in November, and here in South Dakota they have more applications this year than they have ever had and are way behind on their donations. If you are so low income that you need help for Christmas you must have a social worker/food stamp case manager at the Department of Social Services. Contact that person and see if they know of any help. Have you been on unemployment? If so you could have bought one gift a month and put it away. In the meantime go to a dollar store and buy one gift for each kid. It is supposed to be the thought that counts, not the amount of the gift.

It's probably too late in the season for charity help but you could call or visit your local Catholic Charity and see if they 'might' have 'one' gift per child still available.

Your children will have a wonderful Christmas if you make it a good and loving Christmas. As Redhatterb said, "Go to a dollar store and buy one gift for each kid. It is supposed to be the thought that counts, not the amount of the gift." And I will add that the gift don't neccessarily have to be a toy.

You can sing Christmas Carols and/or check some kind of Christmas story book out at the library (there are lots of them for children that aren't super long) and read it to them on Christmas Eve or Day. And/or rent a Christmas movie from Red Box for $1.00.

And I am sure that someone, friends or family members, will be giving them a gift of some sort. Your children will not go without receiving something. Perhaps the biggest gift you can give is talking to them about 'The Reason For The Season' and explain how there are children all over the world who might not even be able to have a meal at all so that your children will know just how blessed they really are.

Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Texas Christmas Charities
Michigan Christmas Charities
Oregon Christmas Charities
New Jersey Christmas Charities
Washington Christmas Charities
🎉
🎄