Cooking Oil Without Soy

I would like to know if all Vegetable oils have soy in them, as I can't have soy. I need a light oil that can accommodate high temperatures, like for frying or sauteing. Is Canola oil a good oil? Thanks!

Debby from San Diego, CA

You can use pure virgin olive oil, cold pressed, and peanut oil is good for very hot cooking.

The ingredients of vegetable oils would be listed on the label. If soy was included in trace amounts it would not likely be listed. Best to contact the company by phone or e-mail. The e-mail address is usually listed on the label.

If it doesn't say soy on the side, then it probably doesn't contain soy (read the label). There are a broad number of alternatives. Sunflower and canola are both good without adding a lot of flavor. I like olive oil (extra virgin), especially for fish and vegetables. Peanut oil is also good, esp. for stir fry. Hope this helps.

My daughter is allergic to soy. Yes all vegetable oil has soy because it comes from the vegetable soy bean. Use Canola oil and NOT the blend. I have learned what to buy and how to make what I can not. I use certain flours also. All of your prepackaged and mixes have soy. You will find yourself becoming a cook from scratch just like Mom. Email me and we can talk.Just put Soy in the subject or I won't open it.

Candy praisinghimto AT yahoo.com

Hi Candy,

I have had food allergies all my life and have just developed a soy allergy. It must be so hard with a little one to find things that are soy free. I have been spending hours in the grocery store trying to find products that are soy ( and wheat free products, also newly allergic to). I find myself feeling so bad for kids that have these allergies :( any recipes that you love or pre-made products that you love?!

I have an intolerance to soy and if eating out usually find out too late if their vegetable oil has soy in it even though only labeled 'vegetable oil' with no mention of soy. I use olive oil and coconut oil although the latter can taste strong. I have episodic arthritis which is caused by various things but mostly soy and maize. Cooking from scratch is the only way.

I've been using olive oil for all my sauteing, but sunflower oil is very healthy and a good option for a light oil. I buy mine in bulk at my coop. Probably doesn't count as a "thrifty" buy as it is somewhat expensive, but our health is to important to scrimp on, so I find the lowest price for the largest quantity. Frugal Freida

Grapeseed Oil is a very healthy oil that you can use at high temperatures!

Too many oils, like canola, corn, etc. are bottled by the same company in the same lines that soy is bottled in, and they are contaminated with soy. I have been very sick when using canola, etc. I cannot eat soy either...so I only use extra virgin olive oil, first cold pressed. I get some in the regular hearty full bodied oil, and then some in the light. The regular Olive oil I use for frying and baking. I use the light oil in things like mayo. It works for me.

Oils become toxic when subjected to high temperatures. Some oils can withstand higher temperatures for a time more than others, but really try to avoid too much frying.

I, too, am allergic to soy. I have tried grapeseed oil, sunflower, and canola. Canola is a healthier oil to use as far as fats are concerned. Be careful of peanut oil as soy is closely related to peanut. I also am allergic to vitamin E so I stay away from olive oil. Usually, a manufacturer will put a warning on the label if something is produced on equipment that is also used for common allergens. Good luck, it's been quite a trial finding things without soy or vitamin E.

Canola oil is a good oil, and here in Canada, the plants that press the canola oil make nothing else -- except other canola products, such as margarine. Canola is much better than olive oil for high temp frying, such as deep frying or stirfrying.

Try using Alfa One Rice Bran Oil instead. They also make a "Butter"

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 14, 2008
Using Soy Flour
Using Soy Flour
Soy candle in a glass jar.
Making Soy Massage Candles
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Tofu
Recipes Using Soy
🎄