Inexpensive Decorating

We are moving to a new home soon. It is somewhat formal and traditional home (big change). Do you have any inexpensive decorating tips? There is a huge garden tub with plenty of space around for some pretty things as well as a lot of cabinet space in kitchen, etc. I lean toward antique.

Beth

Best Answer

Brown Paper Bag Wall Treatment

Materials:

brown craft paper (or used brown grocery bags)

wallpaper paste

paint brush (inexpensive)

bucket

newspapers

large damp sponge

Instructions:

1.) Tear the craft paper or grocery bags into pieces approximately the size of a large dinner plate. Tear away all straight edges. Crumple each piece tightly into a ball.

2.) Pour the wallpaper paste into the paint tray. Use the paint brush to apply paste onto the wall in about a 4X4 inch section.

3.) Uncrumple each piece of brown paper and press onto the wall. Do not smooth out all the wrinkles. This will give a lot of texture to the finished wall. Lay down the next piece slightly overlapping the first piece. Press down the edges with the damp sponge and remove the excess paste. You may have to periodically rinse and wring out the sponge. Continue rolling on paste and applying the paper until the entire wall is covered. Allow to dry 48 hours.

Makes it look like a leather or suede look. It's fantastic and if there is a spill or a piece is damaged later you can just add a piece : )

Best Answer

For cabinets:

Wherever there are cabinets you can do this project.

1. Clean the outside of the cabinet.

2. If you want, prime and paint the cabinet.

3. After paint has dryed use paste on decals.

You and get them at arts and craft stores. They are like stickers, but they look as if someone has painted them. Most of them only need to be placed on area and smoothed out. Others my require to have water. It makes a great decoration on walls, cabinets, dressers, stands, doors, and tables. Prices range from $9.95- $20.00.

I have got roosters on my kitchen cabinets, sunflowers on the kitchen walls and "home sweet home" signs.

Best Answer

Around your tub try filling pretty glass jars and bottles with bath salts and bubble bath then group them together. A grouping of candles is also pretty, tall ones, fat ones, etc. Real or silk plants in pretty pots would also look great along with the bottles and candles. Baskets with rolled washcloths and soaps would also be neat. Thrift stores and dollar stores have great containers. Dollar stores also carry many types of bath accessories and candles.

Or instead of brown paper bags you can use simple tissue paper crumpled and even add a bit of your favorite color to the wallpaper paste to make it look however you like.

How do you remove the brown paper bag wall treatment? I am moving into a new to me house with this treatment and I think it is too dark for the room. Help!

I love the brown paper bag wall treatment idea. I'm just curious as to how to apply the paper bags around the trim? Do you have to take the trim off or can you apply it without taking the trim off? I, myself would like to try this idea in my daughter's room, but am curious before I get started.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Beautifully, yet inexpensively,  decorated room.
Decorating Your Home on a Budget
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Budget DecoratingSeptember 14, 2004
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
🎉
🎄