Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Stuck Food From a Pan

Have you ever been washing dishes and come across that pot with the caked on food? Rather than burying it in the dishwater, try this.

If you are having trouble removing food from a pot, place about half a cup of water in the pot and place it on the stove. Turn the fire on and allow the water to boil, which is only about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on your appliance.

After the water has reach a rumbling boil, turn the fire off, and pour the water out. Anything that was stuck on the pot is now gone. Now you can wash your pot and keep your dishwater clean. Hope this helps.

By bridgette from Ferriday, LA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Dolna Garbary [3]12/29/2010

This works even better if you add a Tablespoon of either dishwasher or laundry detergent. Especially good for burnt oily foods on metal pots. But beware: boiling detergent in containers finished with enamel can dull the shiny enamel finish.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Stuck Food From a Pan

***

*** If you find food stuck to the bottom of a pan after you've emptied it, simply fill the pan to cover the bottom with water, set it on a burner, and bring the water to a boil. Turn the burner off and allow the hot water to sit for a few minutes, then gently rub the bottom of the pan with a large spoon or spatula. The food will immediately loosen and make washing the pan so much easier.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

More Ideas

Salt And Cold Water

Food stuck to the bottom of your pans, such as lasagna. Fill the pan with cold water and pour some salt all along the bottom of the pan and let sit overnight. The next morning the pan should wash with ease. Works great!

By Mommyofsix Baking soda works just fine also for removing stuck-on food. Just fill the pan with a couple inches of water, add some baking soda and boil for a few minutes.

By Sewingmamma

Fabric Softener Sheet

Warm or hot water and a fabric softener sheet (or even half of one) placed in the dish works wonders. I let mine sit over night, then wash as usual in the a.m. This works especially well when I have really, really burned something onto a pan, and scrubbing just isn't working. If it's not too bad, I save the softener sheet and just pour boiling water into the pan and let it sit, checking every so often to see if it's ready to wash.

By Terry from Chilli, OH

All Fabric Bleach

I once found myself in a predicament where some caked on food wouldn't come out of a pan. I had tried several things, but nothing seemed to take it off. I remembered seeing that Amway's all fabric bleach was useful for a host of things other than laundry. Sure enough, getting caked on food off was one of them! The instructions told me to use two tablespoons and soak the pan in very hot water for an hour. It worked like a charm, and I have been using it for getting food off of everything ever since. I have tried Dawn Power Dissolver, but you have to use so much of that stuff, that it is not economical at all. Considering that two tablespoons will take off some really serious stuff, including burned on food, I think that you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere!

By Skbeal

RE: Removing Stuck Food From a Pan

I have been married 55 years. In all those years, I've never had to use anything but plain water to soak burned on stuff in containers. I've always put the utensil in the sink, filled it with plain water and let it sit while I washed the rest of the dishes. It always comes out clean. For burned on stuff, I let the utensil sit overnight with plain water, and the next day it comes right out. (08/13/2007)

By Sallie