Lucas (Lost During Hurricane Rita)

Lucas (I lost him during the hurricane Rita evacuation last year but he's still in my heart.) Lucas was 6 years old when the picture was taken. He was an American Short Hair and Maine Coon.

A coworker obtained Lucas, and her husband didn't want to keep him. She told me if I didn't take him, she would dump him at the pound, so of course I took him in at 2 months old.

Lucas always wanted to be with me, no matter what I was doing. Lucas was my big baby boy, 23 lbs., and a lap kitty. Unfortunately, he didn't survive our evacuation. In the gridlock of Houston, my car died and Lucas succumbed 3 days later, to heat stroke he sustained during the evacuation. This is a picture of Lucas yawning.

Lucas the Cat - Died as a result of Hurricane Rita evacuation

By Lisa Butler from Seabrook, TX

What a lovely cat. What a sad story. But he had a very happy life with you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My sister escaped with her dog before Katrina hit.

Lisa, I am so sorry, words are of no real comfort but I can feel the pain in your loss. Bless you for taking him with you, as he never felt the sorrow or horror of being abandoned.

Oftentimes, it helps to go to a shelter and adopt a kitty who needs a good home and loving family.

Please keep us posted.

I love the picture!

God Bless,

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

My heart goes out to you. Just remember Lucas knew love with you. I had one cat AllieMae a tortie

with a CRAZY attitude (1994-2004) and not a day

goes by still that I love her any less. We now have

two doggies the first one a rescue who truly rescued my broken heart. I also go to Cuteoverload.com to

look at silly cat and pet pictures for a pickme up.

I am glad you are safe from Katrina.

Lucas was a fierce looking cat and so cuddly too.

Nothing like a cat yawning.

Your loss was compounded by the loss of Lucas but I like to think of them as never really leaving us. Their spirits live on in our hearts forever, until we meet again.

God Bless you for taking Lucas with you during that horrible time. At least he passed with his loved ones close by him.

the lost of an animal is as hard as losing a loved one. My heart goes out to you.

zig

Lucas looks a lot like a cat I had many years ago, Ripper. He was such a joy! I'm so sorry for your loss, but at least he was with you until the end, not fighting for survival in the flood waters -- that must be some small comfort.

Oh my. That is so very sad. I'm sorry you have to feel the pain of losing a special pet. Hope the pain gets easier every day. God Bless

i have been thinking of you since the 23rd when i read this. i have cried and cried over your loss. i lost a cat last year who was 20 years old. she kitty puss was older than my daughter. it was a overwelming for me. my heart goes out to you. i will keep you in my prayers to give you strength to help you thru your grieving process. sincerely,lynn

Your story is very touching. I am sorry for your loss and hope that in your own time you can open your heart again to another pet.

Thank you all so much for your kind and comforting words. I will always have Lucas with me in my heart. I know he felt very loved, and I thank God for the time he was with me. I did adopt a kitten back in October who reminds me a lot of Lucas, even though he looks totally different...they have similar personalities. I know Lucas is watching and is happy that I have room in my heart and my home for Ryan. Thank you all again, I know that you truly understand how much of a loss it was and continues to be. I'm thankful for all of my babies and for the fact that Lucas has no more pain. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him, but I do believe we will meet again :). Hugs, Lisa

Lisa, I am so happy that you have taken another baby into your arms to love and spoil. Ryan must make your heart sing, and I knows how much he loves you.

You and Lucas will indeed be joined again, I feel it in my heart for all of the little ones who must at some point leave us.

The heartbreak never ends, but knowing we will see them again is a comfort to me.

Thank you for the update and please keep in touch with the antics of Baby Ryan!!!!

God Bless,

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Photos Pets CatsJune 23, 2006
Yoda figurine
Star Wars Party Ideas
A sign that says hurricane season.
Food Safety After a Hurricane
Tree Fallen on House After Hurricane
Preparing for a Hurricane
Finding a Lost Relative, Genealogy Study
Finding a Lost Relative
🎄