Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Looking for a Good Carpet Cleaner for Old Carpet

I am renting a house with old worn carpets and everything seems to make them look worse. Within 48 hours of cleaning they look as though they've never been cleaned. I have tried dry cleaning, foam, and steam cleaning. Please help.

By Vicki from Staunton, VA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Ian Burrows01/10/2014

I am a carpet cleaner. And should not really share this with you tricks of the trade LOL. If you have ever heard of something called traffic film remover it is used for washing cars. You can buy from any good motor shop it's a heavy duty degreaser and will lift any stain. Use this as a pre spray than suck it up with something like a rug doctor.

By Lilac [18]10/20/2010

Go to Home depot or Lowes. Go to the back where they have carpet on rolls. You can get it really cheap. You won't need the padding. Choose berber, it doesn't ravel easily and have a piece cut to the size you need then put it over the bad carpet. You will love it. Don't worry about the edges.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Looking for a Good Carpet Cleaner for Old Carpet

I am looking for a good carpet cleaner. I have tried all the ones sold in the store and even rented a machine and bought the special cleaning fluid for it. I have tried foams, sprays, pre-treats, etc. My carpet is old, light blue and is so stained in front of the sofa, chairs, and walkway that I can't stand it anymore. Please help.

Ralphed

RE: Looking for a Good Carpet Cleaner for Old Carpet

Try foam shaving cream. The cheap stuff. I had grease stains from when my husband was a diesel mechanic. Scrub in and let set for a little while. Then wipe. Hope it works for you. (05/19/2004)

By Darla

We use a Bissel. It is fairly inexpensive and works well on our 15 year old carpet (4 kids, 2 cats, and 1 dog). We had an expensive Kirby, but the Bissel works much better. (05/19/2004)

I just cleaned a 17 year old rug with my Hoover Rug cleaner, I used Hoover rug cleaner with Oxyclean and boiling water. Ran it over at night and came back 4 days later (because I was sick) and ran the rug cleaner with just clear water back over the whole rug. It looks and feels great. Hope I helped. (05/19/2004)

By Lucinda

If you have a large chain department store near you, they should sell a product called Spot Shot. It comes in a spray can. The stains disappears before your eyes. (05/19/2004)

By Karen

I have light carpets, two dogs in training (w/accidents) baby formula spills, grease stains, etc. and the only product I have found that cleans all is Oxyclean. I mix it myself as spot cleaners and use in home carpet cleaners for overall cleaning. Results are great. (02/23/2005)

By Gerri (guest post)

I learned from a used car dealer that you should spray the area with whatever your favorite cleaner may be (I love the oxy-types). Wait at least 10 minutes, more if possible. Take a nice stiff brush and break up the dirt with a few strokes. Then run the cleaner as normal.

Made a difference for me. Even got ink out before. I shutter to think what he has had to clean over his career. (08/05/2005)

The trouble with steam cleaners you buy in the store is that they are not very durable and you will end up buying more than one in five years, I just about guarantee it. As professional carpet cleaners, I have seen the Carpet Express in action. Yes, they are not cheap (about $650), but they do a great job and are easy to use and maintain. Should last any homeowner a lifetime. (09/21/2009)

By BigFish1

I have been cleaning carpets for 10 years now and it sounds like you most likely have stains that will not come out. I recommend a carpet replacement.

Below is a thrifty tip for carpet care that I know works the best.

Vacuum your carpet once a week and really do a deep vacuuming on your traffic lanes. This will keep dirt from being etched into the fibers when fibers are walked on. Once dirt is etched into a fiber, the chances of it being removed are next to nil.

Below is what I recommend to tackle a fresh spill on your carpet.

The first thing to do is set a "dry" absorbent material on the spill. "Do not push" the towel into the spill, but lightly tamp it with your hand to avoid the carpet fibers from soaking in more of the spill. I like to use paper towels for this step. Make sure to get the spill as dry as possible.

The second step it to apply a lightly damp clean cotton cloth to the spill. Lightly agitate the carpet fibers working your way from the outside to the middle of the spill. If this doesn't remove the spill you can use a spot remover chemical to help remove the rest of the it. The best way to apply a chemical to the spill is to use a clean cotton cloth. Apply the chemical to the "cloth, not the spill".

Now to make sure that you do not set the spill into your carpet with the chemical. Rub a small part of the spill with the chemical to see if the chemical works. Call a professional to take care of the rest of the spill if the chemical doesn't work. This will save you a lot of future trouble and money. (10/15/2009)

By ABODA

An excellent rug stain remover is Carpet Details Spotter. You can buy it at poundsfloors.com. I have two little dogs and my carpet still looks great. You won't be disappointed. (11/14/2009)

By sabrinadog

I have 14 year old carpets in a mobile home. They are worn and filthy, but I cannot afford to replace them at this point. Please give me your best tips. I don't have a steam cleaner...