Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Petroleum Based Solvent Odor from Clothing

How do you remove the smell of Varsol from clothing? A shirt that had been in contact with Varsol was washed in the washing machine with other clothing and now the whole load of clothing has the Varsol smell. I've tried both hot and cold water washes with laundry detergent to get the smell out, without any luck.

By Lottien from Toronto, Canada

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By anne s.05/12/2011

Thanks!

By Laura01/07/2010

My DH works in a commercial kitchen and his clothes reek of cooking oil. I found a tip (I believe on Thriftyfun.com) to wash the clothes using a tablespoon or two of powder dishwashing soap. He puts in the following:

Oxy Clean 1 scoop
Tide 1 scoop
Dry cascade dishwasher soap 1- or 2 TBSP

Then he puts in 1/2 cup of vinegar in the softener spot, this if for the rinse cycle. It may smell like vinegar at first but the smell goes away as it dries. It works great, he no longer has that smell.

On his black T-shirts. he uses cold water and he omits the oxy clean and they still come out awesome.

Give it a try.

By Paula Summerlin [3]01/06/2010

You could try a box of baking soda in with your laundry detergent on the load of clothes. It took the gasoline smell out of a load of clothes that got washed with my son's smelly gasoline clothes. Hope this helps you.

By Becky01/05/2010

We have a liquid product in the U.S. called Lestoil, made by the Clorox Company, that gets out oil, tar, and grease stains. I would think doing your laundry with this product would take the smell out, since it works on petroleum products. This product is found in the stores where the detergent products are sold.