Removing Petroleum Based Solvent Odor from Clothing

How do you remove the smell of Varsol from clothing? A shirt that had been in contact with Varsol was washed in the washing machine with other clothing and now the whole load of clothing has the Varsol smell. I've tried both hot and cold water washes with laundry detergent to get the smell out, without any luck.

By Lottien from Toronto, Canada

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

We have a liquid product in the U.S. called Lestoil, made by the Clorox Company, that gets out oil, tar, and grease stains. I would think doing your laundry with this product would take the smell out, since it works on petroleum products. This product is found in the stores where the detergent products are sold.

You could try a box of baking soda in with your laundry detergent on the load of clothes. It took the gasoline smell out of a load of clothes that got washed with my son's smelly gasoline clothes. Hope this helps you.

My DH works in a commercial kitchen and his clothes reek of cooking oil. I found a tip (I believe on Thriftyfun.com) to wash the clothes using a tablespoon or two of powder dishwashing soap. He puts in the following:

Oxy Clean 1 scoop

Tide 1 scoop

Dry cascade dishwasher soap 1- or 2 TBSP

Then he puts in 1/2 cup of vinegar in the softener spot, this if for the rinse cycle. It may smell like vinegar at first but the smell goes away as it dries. It works great, he no longer has that smell.

On his black T-shirts. he uses cold water and he omits the oxy clean and they still come out awesome.

Give it a try.

Thanks!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

basket of dirty laundry
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 2, 2010
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Vaseline
Removing Vaseline Stains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 10:02:51 AM on 10.0.1.163 in 754 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.