General AdviceConsumer Advice

Raising Money for a School Trip

I am going to New York this summer with a few other students at school. Our last payment is in 10 days and its going to be over a thousand dollars. My family can't help out and I don't know what to do to raise the money. Any suggestions? I just turned sixteen and don't have my license yet.

By deeann130 from Shelton, WA

Free car wash asking for donations, make signs so they know what its for. Ask your local walmart can you sponsor it there. They will help advertise it. Everyone goes to walmart, good luck

Honey, what have you been doing all year, this trip didn't just happen? It is rather late now to raise that kind of money, when you've had months!

A car wash, as the last writer suggested, is a good idea. Write a good letter, explaining the trip, what you hope to gain from it, and politely request donations. Then hand-deliver the letter to people you know, and explain to them what you are asking.

If you have relatives that give you presents for your birthday or other holidays, call them, explain that you would like to take this trip, and ask if they might gift you early this year. Ask you guidance counselor if there are any scholarships available for the trip.

If you think your family might be able to loan you the money, start looking for a summer job now so that you can pay them back. Be sure to write anyone who gives you money a hand-written thank-you note; and (for good measure) another one when you get back, letting them know how much you enjoyed the trip and how much their helping you get to go meant.

I do hope you get to go; it will be a wonderful trip.

I don't really have any suggestions to add. I agree with everything Jilson said. And I will reiterate what she said about getting monetary gifts, please be sure to write prompt thank you notes. (Actually, thank you notes are good for any gifts!)

That's a lot of money for anyone (even a grown up) to have to come up with on short notice. Best of luck to you, and if you get to go, enjoy your trip!

Do you have grandparents, aunts or uncles, or neighbors you're close with who would pay you now for work done this summer? Make up an informal contract saying you'll mow their lawn 10 times, babysit 8 times, clean their house 7 times, or whatever is appropriate!

It appears you can't afford to go. I wants don't always pan out.

A relative "hit me up" for a donation for a trip. I gave, got a thank you note and haven't heard from the person since. I probably won't do for anyone again.

I am going on a school trip to Ghana to help the children and families and to get there I need £1,500 and I need to have it by next October. Any ideas?

By Emma