Smoke Detector Problem

I have a hard-wired smoke detector that chirps between midnight and 6:30 AM. The heater goes on at that time and the chirping stops. The house temperature is set at 60 degrees during the chirping times. This just started. Any ideas as to why this occurring?

By Ken from Entiat, WA

You might try changing all batteries if you haven't already. Also check the breaker for the smoke detectors, make sure it isn't tripped if not turn breaker off and check all wires to that circuit be sure they are tight. We have the same type of system when we change the batteries when turn the breaker off and than change the batteries and then turn it back on it resets the system. If it is only one detector chirping the problem with be with that detector and not the whole system. Hope this helps!

All smoke/carbon alarms are designed to only last for 10 years, after 10 years or after a fire, they need to be replaced with new ones. If you burn a fireplace, they need to be changed out more often.

Sounds like the sensor is going out, and when the HVAC system comes on, it creates enough air current to remove dust or debris on it.

I am a fire fighter, and one of our biggest issues is people think they are good for a lifetime. They aren't.

It's 4: 30am. I've been up since 2am with my smoke alarm going off constantly! We tried everything and my frustrated hubby went back to bed and covered his head to block out the sound! Even the dog wanted out and continued her blissful sleep outside!

Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep with that loud noise for the next hour or so, climbed up on a kitchen stool every 20mins to press the button to shut it off. It would stay quiet for about 20mins and then back on again. In the meantime, I decided to see if I could get some online help and found this site.

Thanks for all the tips. I was surprised but gratified to find others have experienced this too and what would you know? Most of the problems were at night. Murphy's Law! Then to annoy me further, the TV started an alarm test!

Anyway, I didn't have a can of air handy, (which I will now get) so I opened the windows for a bit and tried some of the other suggestions until on one of my trips back from the detector to bed, I noticed the thermostat battery in the living room was low so the heat was not on in that part of the house. I changed the battery and voila! silence!! I've waited 30 minutes and no more alarm so I guess I can sleep now, for all of 2 hours before have to be up.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips when my 'support system' here bailed out on me!

When smoke alarm batteries die they start chirping in the middle of the night when the temp in the house drops. I googled smoke alarms to find out why mine has space for two 9v batteries. I think it may be because it has a lite in it, but not sure. Anyway that's how I found out about the middle of the night chirping!

Not chirping the actual fire alarm

Oh dear... I tried to check the circuit breaker and did a test on it. Well, I now have disconnected ALL the alarms in the house. Prior to this only two were chirping. They are still chirping but there is no green light on. I will try to remove and replace those new batteries. (The old were still good.) It seems I have made matters worse. I have had my system about 4 years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I recently spent two nights of miserable insanity dealing with the malfunctioning/unreasonable/unstoppable shrieking fire/carbon monoxide detector issue, and even if your problem ceased after replacing the battery you should know a few important things about these supposedly life-saving devices.

First of all, if you take a sledgehammer to the device in question, it may or may not cease its infernal noise and you will have to pay for the inevitable damage to the wall or ceiling in addition to replacing the device. Living in subsidized housing has come to mean numerous rules and regulations of varying stupidity from a safety standpoint, since many "safety"measures are merely a matter of removing access or control from the tenant-locking the water heater closet and denying the tenants a key, a prohibition on giving the operation/care manuals to the appliances and devices installed in the residence are just two that have caused more problems than they prevent - and as offensive as these measures are to a person of reasonable intelligence like myself, many of my neighbors are perfect examples of the stupidity that has made such measures attractive to landlords from a financial point of view. It caused me great anger and outrage to find out that the apt manager could easily have stopped the insanity after the first night, but was prohibited from doing so by either CA regulations or ConAm Management Co policy, and at this point I don't care which.

The alarm system that is directly connected to and sends a signal to both the fire dept and Bay Alarm Co functions perfectly and is inspected and maintained on a bi-yearly basis and conscientious care.

The piece-of-**** secondary system consists of three smoke/CO detectors that have periodically malfunctioned since they were installed less than three years ago, when the complex was built, but never to the extent of this past week.

The offending devices have now been removed pending replacement, which I am going to be charged for. And I didn't even get the pleasure of smashing them with a sledgehammer as I oh so very much desired.

If you are a smoker, the nicotine residue causes dirt and sand (I live in the desert) to stick to the sensors. I understand this concept, yet wonder how it is that in the four decades that I have been a smoker, far heavier than currently, this has never happened. But that's a personal issue I will battle out with the landlord.

The important thing is to be aware that the devices manufactured since 2011 (I'm going by the date on the devices) are susceptible to things like dust, nicotine, grease from cooking, animal dander, and anything that can float through the air and collect on a surface anywhere, and that no consideration was given this inevitable process of life when making them. For some forms of dust, etc, canned air will blow the residue away or a vacuum will suck it out. That's if you are aware that more is necessary than simply using the vacuum attachment while doing spring or fall cleaning-you have to take it down and clean it somehow, not easy if you are handicapped and cannot steady yourself on a ladder or if you simply don't have a way to reach it safely. But if you don't do it twice a year, don't expect it to work when you need it to, according to the gentleman who maintains the REAL alarm system, and he won't touch the devices not part of his system, and the look of derision he gave them spoke volumes.

So I have read and researched and gotten opinions from professionals, including firefighters. Ionization type detectors should be replaced with photoelectronic ones, as the ionization ones tend to ignore the thick deadly smoke most commonly the cause of death in house fires until far too late. Use a vacuum or preferably compressed air to clean your devices at least twice each year. Replace the batteries, even in hardwired versions, once a year on a specific date-the fall when clocks are set back is best and easiest, you have that extra hour, after all, and with Christmas and lights made of cheap wiring around the corner, it's a good idea to know your batteries are fresh.

DO NOT simply unplug it or remove the battery if it's driving you nuts, then put off reconnecting or replacing it-follow through! Clean it, replace it, or whatever is necessary, and give the old one a good whack with a hammer for me before you throw it out. And the reason it goes off at night, I have been informed, is due to condensation that naturally occurs during that time of day. Be safe!

Thanks Elaine, for your wonderful sense of humor and good advice!

Every night between midnight and 3:30 3, 5 second actual fire alarms ALL THE TIME one night it keep going not chirping the fire alarm for hours and we called the non emergency line and they sent firemen they said look up at the lights for a green then red constantly not the 45 second red that's normal then replace the whole fire alarm not just batteries later we had the same problem with the same unit in the same place so we thought bad wiring ( we are hard wired) a guy came and "fixed it" we now have a theory that hot air could be doing it ? Replys would be nice

My smoke detectors all have red lights and new batteries but will not go off when I push the buttons.

September 27, 2012 Flag

We live in a basement apartment. We've lived here for over a year. Recently our smoke alarm has been going off randomly all hours of the night. It's hardwired to the building.

When we first moved in it was not connected and in a closet (we're thinking that's why it was in there). We've cleaned it over 4 times with the vacuum and even a damp cloth. We've told the landlords and they claim it's humidity!

We are so tired of hearing that. So we had the windows open all day and night and still it's going off! We don't smoke and haven't been using the oven. Oh, and we also bought a second smoke alarm (which is in our baby's room, the warmest of all and the window is never open) and it never goes off as it's working properly. Others above us on the third and second floor also have their alarms go off at crazy hours.

Please help. I hate the sound, it drives me nuts and we can't unplug it as we could get fined. So far we're freezing and it's still going off.

By Katelyne

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since you mention that you live in an apartment then you need to notify your landlord and insist that it be repaired/replaced. If the landlord won't co-operate then report him/her to your city/county code enforcement department because it is against the law everywhere that there must be a working smoke detector for residential rental property.

December 31, 2010 Flag

My hard wired smoke alarm went off last night. What is considered chirping when the battery is low? The alarm went off as though there was an actual fire and kept on for almost a minute and then stopped on its own. Is this chirping?

By Becky

Answers:

Smoke Detector Problem

Some suggestions:

One: The battery may be dying so it might be time to change it. You may need to ask a hardware store what kind of batteries are recommended for a smoke alarm (alkaline, etc). Not all smoke alarms are made alike.

Two: Smoke detectors do die eventually so it may be time for a new smoke detector.

Three: It also could be carbon monoxide. If you have it, leave the house and call a professional to come over to fix the problem. My family went through this when I was younger and the smoke alarm would go off, then chirp periodically throughout the night. We asked a professional to come over and he said that the chimney was the culprit (carbon monoxide). He cleaned it out, the smoke alarm stopped chirping and going off after wards.

Four: Your smoke detector may need to be cleaned out with a dust buster.

Also, the archives may have the answer to your problem.

Good luck and I hope I helped you. (11/23/2010)

By Mgoldsmith54914

Smoke Detector Problem

On my regular battery operated smoke alarms, chirping is a "chirp" like a small bird or a cricket, every so often. Others may work differently, however. (11/24/2010)

By louel53

April 16, 2010 Flag

My smoke alarm started going off recently for no apparent reason. When I fan it with a towel, it stops. Any ideas?

By Jim from Kansas City MO

Answers:

Smoke Detector Problem

I believe, if I remember correctly, that you need to replace the batteries. When low, the alarm goes off. Hope this helps (01/05/2010)

By LULUbobo

Smoke Detector Problem

I have had problems with a detector that went off and I found spider webs inside. I cleaned them out and problem solved. You might check for that.

Donna (01/09/2010)

By flying-brush

January 5, 2010 Flag

My husband bought a new smoke alarm about a year or two ago. I can't find the instructions that came with it. Last night it started 'beeping' and when he pushed on the button to silence it the noise stopped. But now the little green light is on all the time and I don't think it was on all the time before.

I do remember at different times a little red light would flash off and on for a minute or so, but that was to let us know it was working or something. I can't see what kind it is so that's not much help. Is there anyone who has one similar and knows what to do?

Gelene from FL

Answers:

Smoke Detector Problem

Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker. Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power. Remove the battery, and press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds. The unit may chirp or alarm for a few seconds before going silent. Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery. The unit will chirp once when the power is restored and should not chirp afterward. (09/05/2008)

By boreasrex

Smoke Detector Problem

I followed the advice of boreasrex and it worked perfectly. Thanks! (11/22/2008)

By Ron C

Smoke Detector Problem

Just make sure you don't have the same crazy issue as I did. Woke up at 4am to the sound of a chirp. I had heard this chirping before from the smoke detectors whenever they wanted a new battery. After making a run to the grocery store at 5:20am, paying almost $6 for two Duracell 9volts, going to the manufacturers website, checking this forum and shutting down the power to all detectors to remove the batteries, I finally decided to try the vacuum. When I coincidentally went to plug it in to one of the many power outlets, I noticed the LED on the carbon monoxide detector was blinking; there was the actual problem. (12/17/2008)

By wtw94

Smoke Detector Problem

Followed boreasrex's advice and so far so good. Thanks! (01/15/2009)

By heather

Smoke Detector Problem

Thank you wtw94! We changed the battery in the smoke alarm, and we thought it was that that was continually chirping. I had bought a carbon monoxide detector, had put the battery in it, but never plugged it in. It was laying near the smoke alarm, but when I listened to it, that was what was chirping! I didn't think I had activated it yet, but the battery had, I guess. Anyway, we were about to buy a new smoke detector. I'm so glad I checked the carbon monoxide detector. Thank you! (02/24/2009)

By June

Smoke Detector Problem

Thank you, Boreasrex! My alarm has been going off since 2:30 this morning (it's now 10:30!), it was, needless to say, driving me mad! I found this post, disconnected power etc., and now it's blissful silence! I might go to bed now. Thanks again! (07/13/2009)

By stephknee

August 25, 2008 Flag

I have 4 electronic smoke detectors with battery backup on the same line. One detector beeps every 50 seconds non stop.

March 11, 2008 Flag

I have a smoke detector problem. It keeps beeping off and on. I changed the batteries and it still will beep off and on.

August 6, 2007 Flag

My smoke alarm is connected to electric supply and has started going off for no reason at all the last few days.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Home SafetyDecember 31, 2010
Gray Smoke Coming From a Tailpipe
Gray Smoke Coming From a Tailpipe
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
🎄