Feeding and Caring for Ladybugs

By Pam 1

I am a science coach with our school district and our first graders are going to be raising and caring for ladybugs in the classroom. We need to know what to feed them other than aphids? Hopefully we can find a food that is "classroom friendly". Can you help?

Pam from Midland, TX

Showing: Answers Sort

By Jill 4 738 Flag

You'll need to do your research; but I believe they can eat jam/jelly. I don't think the adults eat aphids, I believe it is the immature ladybugs, although the adults are drawn in by the honeydew the aphids produce and....well, nature takes its course.....and the larval ladybugs clean up the aphids. If you are ordering the ladybugs from a supplier, they ought to be able to help you with feeding, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jill 4 738 Flag

I did a little research, and the adults do eat aphids, and what I found suggests you keep adults in captivity no more than several days, (they suggest feeding honey water), since their nutrition will not be adequate. If you are purchasing from a supplier that regularly supplies schools, they may be able to offer a more complete diet. Good Luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 Flag

Here is a website for keeping pet ladybugs and their diet which raisins and bananas and other sweet non acidic fruits are recommended with a moistened paper towel kept sprayed with water for them to drink.

Here is the website I found: http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

Sounds like fun! ( I keep crickets). :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By animalover09 1 Flag

Raisons or honey to eat. Put some water on a coton ball or tissue paper to drink. Put them in a small container or jar and put some soil at the botom with grass over it (this is optional). Change the food every 2 days and the water every week. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Animalover09

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Caring for Pet Ladybugs
Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs
Pets AdviceJanuary 29, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Caring for Pet Ladybugs
Feeding and Caring for Pet Ladybugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 3:54:31 PM on 10.0.1.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings