Helpful Hints for Great Gravy

I agree that good gravy must start with flour that is slowly browned in the pan drippings (fat only!) before adding your liquid to thicken. Another helpful hint when making really good gravy is to use a slotted spoon. It seems to keep the gravy from forming the lumps so many complain about. When almost ready, season well with salt and pepper using the "taste test" method. It takes more than you'd think! Gravy isn't difficult but takes time and patience, and then is oh so good!

By Maryann from Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been putting my gravy through the collander for at least 40 years.... I get a lot of giggles when I tell folks that but it is the truth.

I use corn starch in a small amount of water (using a wire wisk) instead of flour....no lumps ever and tastes great!

If it gets lumpy, I just put it in the blender. Works great.

When roasting meat in the oven you can put flour in a pie tin and let it brown in the oven while meat roasts. You have to watch it so it doesn't burn, but it sure saves time when you can use already cooked flour to put your gravy together. I also use a whire whisk when I combind the roux and the broth. Stir the hell out of it with the whisk. Also make sure broth is cool when you add to hot gravy makings. this helps prevent lumps. Just keep stirring, it will all come together. Happy cooking.

I learned how to make gravy from my mother-in-law many years ago. Empty the pan and put two or three tablespoons of drippings into the pan. Add one to two tablespoons of flour, depending on the size of the roast. Make a paste of this mixture, using a slotted cooking spatula, and cook it for a few minutes, until it is browned, then all that is left is to slowly add cold water and keep stirring, picking up the bits and pieces in the pan, until you reach the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more drippings, if necessary.

I was fixing gravy with a spoon a long time ago, and my daughter-in-law asked me why I didn't use a "whisk"? I had never thought of it was my reply--this is what my mom had always done. Now I use a whisk and have very few if, any, lumps in my gravy

Another tip for making good gravy is to save your potato water and add it to the gravy before other liquid or add to the liquid before adding to the pan. In my greaseless gravy recipe I neglected to add the part about adding potato water. It seems to give it much more taste.

Thank you,

Nell

When making beef gravy I always use about a tsp of Kitchen Bouquet near the end of cooking. Adds a great taste.

Did you know? It takes half the amount of cornstarch,as it does flour.You will taste less that paste flavor, with cornstarch. It take half the amount arrowroot as it does cornstarch, Arrowroot has no taste. Just asking,if anyone heard about arrowroot or uses it?

I add a little tamari or soy sauce to my gravy for color & taste.

Liz

I used my turkey drippings and then added a flour water mixture to the drippings. The gravy is not getting thick. I'm whisking the gravy over a low heat. What to do next?

For the best gravy ever! place on a large cookie sheet [with sides] place on it carrots, celery, leeks, onions, broccoli etc [ any vegs you like] & roast in oven, when well roasted transfer to pot add the amount of water you need for gravy, bring to a boil & simmer until tender, then pour through a sieve with either a wooden spoon or a spatula, then with stirring motion pressing the veg's through as much as possible, needs no flour,gravy browning or flavoring, & what a delicious flavor, I saw this on a "Chef Gordon Ramsey show",he called it "real gravy" it takes a little more effort than the regular gravy, but well worth the effort, really.

Plate of food covered in gravy.
Gravy Making Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 21, 2007
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Turkey gravy in a gravy boat.
Making Turkey Gravy
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
Caribbean hotel
Caribbean Vacation Tips
🎉
🎄