Paper Towels Clogging a Toilet

My daughter has used a load of paper towels and put them in the toilet. Come to find out she has been doing it for a while. Now my toilet is clogged up. Can someone help me please?

By Lady Jay from Jacksonville, FL

Best Answer

What you need is called a snake. They come with enough length to go from the toilet to the street. You may be able to rent one from a home box store or a tool rental company. Otherwise let nature take its course and evenually the paper will dissipate on its own.

The only answer is to go buy CLR Power Plumber. It really works, and it is effortless.

Best Answer

Try that once a month septic granules, I think it's called rid-x. It has enzymes that break down matter in a septic system so it should work for the paper towel clog.

Good luck !

Anonymous

You can rent or purchase a plumbing snake and then make your daughter pay for the cost out of her allowance. ;-)

I hope you have talked to her about proper use and disposal of paper towels. If necessary, remove the roll from the bathroom. Prevention beats cure any time

Anonymous

I am adding a P.S. I doubt that since it's paper towels you will need anything more than a snake but thought I would tell you why you should make her pay for it and that is because lessons sink in faster when it hurts the pocket book. I know this first hand because when I was a teen I used to throw Q-Tips in the toilet. Well, a snake won't break those up and I had to pay the plumbing bill for the toilet to be taken off, the Q-Tips removed from the drain and the toilet reseated. Perhaps you should make it clear to your daughter that 'nothing' should be thrown in to the toilet except TP. Even too much Kleenex can clog some toilets and drains. ;-)

In addition to the suggestions about things to not flush, never put a cleaning sponge in unless it has a handle so it won't go down. I tossed in a scrubby backed sponge with the intention of cleaning some stains off the toilet bowl, and the toilet immediately swallowed it down. We ended up paying the plumber over $100 to push it out with a plumber's snake.

just pour lot 'lactic acid' which can be in any toilet cleaner, depending on the mass of tissue to get dissolved and flush after a hour or may be :)

Use Clorox. Just used it and it works great

My son flushed a whole roll of paper towels and now I have a stubborn clog. Water will slowly drain after a flush, leaving a paper pulp mess behind. No solids will go down. I scooped out all the pulp from the bowl. I have tried a plunger and 2 different toilet augers (3 foot and 6 foot). The rest of the drains in the house are OK, so the clog is not in the main sewer line. I even tried septic tank cleaner 2 days ago, with no results.

Kennath from Las Vegas

Answers:

Paper Towels Clogging a Toilet

What you need is called a snake. They come with enough length to go from the toilet to the street. You may be able to rent one from a home box store or a tool rental company. Otherwise let nature take its course and eventually the paper will dissipate on its own. (11/22/2006)

By Dean

Paper Towels Clogging a Toilet

You may want to try some bleach. It may just eat the paper. (11/25/2006)

By kduchin

Paper Towels Clogging a Toilet

Try that once a month septic granules, I think it's called Rid-X. It has enzymes that break down matter in a septic system so it should work for the paper towel clog.
Good luck ! (07/30/2010)

By paulajeromeg