Planting a Garden on Top of Concrete

In my backyard we have a concrete slab that is about a 1/2 inch thick, that was used for a basketball area. Now, I would like to grow a garden on top.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Not sure if it is possible to drill holes for drainage. Could there be layer system like in living roofs that could work? Please help!

By cacunnin from Washington DC

You can place raised bed gardens over concrete. I haven't done it, but some have. Learn more here: http://forums.g  82156141678.html

Take a look at the 'New Square Foot Gardening' by Mel Bartholomew. This method will let you have a garden on almost any surface! The book also goes into raised bed gardening and also 'table top gardens' for people in wheelchairs or who have difficulties kneeling. I have no connection other than a happy 'square foot gardener'.

Duane in West Michigan

You are very lucky to have a place to make a raised bed garden. Just put cement blocks or build it with lumber. No drainage holes needed, it will drain under the above. This is picture of running snap beans (green beans). Good luck.

It would be possible to use large pots.

I have been growing on my driveway for years everything's in pots or containers of some sort.

This year I have started using Homemade Earth boxes made out of storage containers . Just Google how to make Earth boxes.

You could build a raised bed over it and put small drainage in the wood that you use. Just make sure you use treated wood. You wouldn't want to do all that work and it rot! You could google raised beds and get some really good ideas! Hope this helps!

I am a retired Landscape Architect. Several years ago, we designed a garden on top of a concrete parking area. We created railroad tie boxes of different heights and sizes. Cascading plants on the edges of these boxes softened the edges and topped the ties on the ones high enough to sit on with redwood to protect "sitters" from the tie chemicals. The effect after a couple of years was quite nice.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 6, 2009
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Urbanite Garden Bed
Urbanite (Recycled Concrete) Craft Projects
Smooth Stove Top
Cleaning Stains on a Smooth Stove Top
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 5:22:07 AM on 10.0.2.71 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.