DessertsBaking & Desserts

Recipe for Angel Food Pudding and Fruit Cake

I'm trying to find a recipe for a dessert that had chunks of angle food cake on the bottom, a layer of vanilla pudding, and them fruit on top. I don't know if there is anything else in it or not.

Amy from Fort Wayne, IN

Best Answer

That sounds like a trifle - a dessert that is layered like that. Some people put sherry in the angel food to moisten it. You don't have to. You can use a layer of jello or jam, instead of fruit. It looks pretty if you have a clear glass container to show the colors of the layers. You can use custard instead of pudding.you can put whipped cream or cool whip on top. It's often served at festive dinners- like Christmas, in Ireland/England for instance.

Good luck and enjoy

Marge, Saugerties, NY

Best Answer

I just made this the other day -

One angel food cake bar cut into bite size pieces

one box instant pudding, mixed according to directions on box

one small can crushed pineapple with juice

3 medium bananas, sliced

one quart fresh strawberries, washed and sliced

one large (12 oz) cool whip

one small jar maraschino cherries, rinsed

Layer cake on botton and other ingredients as listed above.

don't mix together just layer. Chill.

I've also used cantaloup instead of strawberries and white chocolate pudding instead of vanilla. I also use sugar free pudding and fat free cool whip so diabetics can enjoy it too. I think any in season fruit would work.

Best Answer

This dessert is actually called a trifle which I think means layered. Anyway I make one for every pot luck I go to. It is nice to have a clear tall bowl so the layers show. I use the pieces of angel food cake, partially set jello, mixed berries and cool whip. I top it with kiwi and also put some around the bowl before the last layer. You can use any kind of jello or pudding,and any fruits, or I also used peach yogurt, and orange jello once.

I googled and found this recipe, just typed the ingredients in the Google search bar:

http://www.recipezaar.com/48931

Marge from NY

I found this one at recipe goldmine. Don't know if it is what you had in mind, but sure sounds good!

Tear 1/2 of an angel food cake into 1 inch pieces and place in a bowl. Spoon over a 1-pound 5-ounce can of cherry pie filling, then 1/2 of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers again. Top with Cool Whip.

Pudding Mixture:

Combine a 3 1/2 ounce package of instant vanilla (I use French Vanilla) pudding, 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup sour cream. Beat and pour over cake.

This is better if it sets for a few hours before inhaling...

My mother in law used to make this!

She would have different things, sometimes, just the cake, pudding and fruit, sometimes, with yogurt instead of pudding, with whipped cream, or marshmallows. I loved it with mandarin oranges, and vanilla pudding, or bananas, and banana pudding. YUM!