Advertising for a Garage Sale

How do I advertise for a garage sale?

By Doris

Place an ad in local newspaper and also in small hometown newspapers in your area.

The key to a successful yard sale will be your signs. Make them big enough to say "Yard Sale" and a clearly understandable arrow. If the yard sale is a good distance away (up the street) put how many blocks or how many miles the driver needs to go. If you have enough room on your sign put your address.

It is key to have a sign on a well traveled road. If your house is really far out SE if you can find some place closer to a main road to set up your sale. I live way out in the sticks. I asked a little grocery store if I could set up on the far side of their parking lot. They don't open Saturdays so they said it would be okay, just clean up afterward.

Using a bright paper helps attract attention as well. People who see a sign in pink, yellow or orange have the suspicion it is for a yard sale. People out doing yard sales look for signs that stand out. Politicians have lots of signs out in our area right now and they deter a good yard sale sign that doesn't stand out because they are easy to read. The eye goes to them first, by the time the person refocuses to another sign they are right on top or driving past it.

On numerous occasions I have gone out of my way for clearly marked well placed yard sale signs. Even when I had decided to stop yard selling for the day.

I have been going to yard sales and doing yard sales for years and the signs are a major key to success. Just be sure to take your signs down when your yard sale is over or coming to an end. It is only polite.

And I have been saying yard sale but it applies to garage sales as well.

Save money and time: list your yard/garage sale on craigslist.org. I used to post signs early and a friend put an advert in the local paper. We did better when we just put the listing on craigslist with minimal signage on major streets. My daughter and I have a list of major intersections; we post on all 4 corners going each way at eye level from a car's view. We post the signs at 6 am and go to get coffee. Then we start hauling things out to the yard. We put a big sign on the back of the car and park in front of the house. Put on your apron, the one with a pocket in front so you can keep your sales cash safe. Let the early birds start buying, good luck