Drive Less For Low Mileage Insurance Discount

I recently retired and not liking driving that much, I decided to apply for the lowest rate of insurance I could find. By qualifying for the low mileage discount (which is the largest one of all), I saved over 50% of my truck's insurance. You can budget your car's mileage, by simply keeping track of it. I keep a log.

On the first of the month, I record my mileage. I know I have to keep it under 235 miles a month to maintain my discount, so I watch it and don't let it get out of range. That means some walking, some bicycle riding, or just saying no to more driving near the end of the month. Pays off in lower premiums and health benefits.

By creativeman from Chatsworth CA

I also get a low mileage discount since I am retired for over 10 years. Also, if people are still working and take a train to work, ask your insurance company if you qualify for lower rates. Mine did, when I was temporarily loaned to the city and had to take the railroad each day.

Most companies also discount when you turn 50. If you are not sure, just ask. I remember when I questioned something and my agent (who I have known for over 25 years) said to me, I have good news and bad news. I said what is the news? Well, he said the good news is that you qualify for a discount, but the bad news is you qualify because you are 50. Oh no. LOL.

Thanks! It had never occurred to me to check for this type of discount. My 75-year-old hubby would qualify on age and low mileage, lol! I just asked a friend who works for my insurance carrier if they do this.

Does anyone know what happens if you go over the miles? about a year ago, I signed up for the low mileage discount because I moved 5 minutes away from my work, but then I got laid off and got another job that's far away, I haven't changed my insurance plan back yet, but I think i'm already over by 100 miles (good thing we only have 2 more weeks left until the end of the year). I hope I'm still covered! It would be terrible if I get into a car accident (God forbid) and find out that I'm no longer insured because I went over my mileage by 100 miles.

Saving Money on Auto Insurance, A car accident.
Saving Money on Auto Insurance
Budget & Finance Auto InsuranceDecember 1, 2009
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
Gas Gauge
Improving Gas Mileage
🎄
🍂