Frugal Sightseeing in San Francisco

We are traveling to San Francisco and are looking for frugal sightseeing and restaurant tips. Thanks.

Tina from Ashland, OR

If it's your first time, I would recommend buying SF CityPasses. They get you into some fabulous museums, give you an unlimited pass for public transportation, come with great Pier 39 coupons and have other great features as well (they escape me at the moment - it's been awhile since I went). I hadn't ever been to SF before and used the CityPass as my gateway into learning about the city. sells them cheaper than the CityPass website (but check to be sure if you're interested). Have a great time - and bring layering clothes. The temperature changes by the minute!

Check out BART's schedule:

You might search "Google street view cities" before you go - it gives you photos of street scenes in San Francisco (and other places).

I know there are free walking tours in San Francisco ( My husband and I walked everywhere and rarely took any transportation as the city is a good size but we managed to get around fine walking. We spent about 7 hours a day just walking around on our own with our map. You can also pre-book a harbour boat tour for $19 as opposed to the $22 you'd pay when you got there:

San Francisco, California
San Francisco, California Frugal Travel Guide
Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States CaliforniaFebruary 25, 2008
San Diego, California
San Diego, California Frugal Travel Guide
Legoland California
California Frugal Travel Guide
Clock tower of the Estacao da Luz in Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo, Brazil Frugal Travel Guide
San Antonio River Walk
San Antonio, TX Frugal Travel Guide